Sandown Notes 15/9

stodge

At the Start
I'll write up a bit more when I have some time tomorrow but I was on the slopes this afternoon and saw three really good performances.

MASKED MARVEL was the pick of the paddock in the mile juvenile maiden and did it really well outstaying MUTAYASER up the hill. He looks a serious middle-distance type for next season.

TREASURY DEVIL may be more of an 8-10f type but he was impressive today seeing off a well-supported Godolphin type in INTROVERT. To be fair, INTROVERT has been beaten in a Nursery but the winner quickened really well on rain-softened ground and under a strong headwind.

PENITENT and SKYSURFERS had both impressed back in the spring and fought out the finish to the Listed race over a mile. Hughes was superb on PENITENT but I think SKYSURFERS didn't quite get home over the stiff mile.

ALAZAN bolted up in the last when all bar one came up the stands side. However, the one I took from the race was STATUS SYMBOL who ran really well for an inexperienced type.

I'll write up a bit more when I have some time tomorrow but I was on the slopes this afternoon and saw three really good performances.

MASKED MARVEL was the pick of the paddock in the mile juvenile maiden and did it really well outstaying MUTAYASER up the hill. He looks a serious middle-distance type for next season.

... and both are out of german mares - chapeau :)
mutayaser is out of borgia, one of the truely outstanding german racemares ever, it would be great if she had at least one decent offspring, so far her foals didnt really cut much ice.

More from Esher...

Just to add a little to my earlier report from yesterday's action at Sandown.

The opening Nursery was won by the well-backed JACK SMUDGE (11/2 to 7/2) who came wide down the sprint course which isn't easy to do and picked off long-time leader PERFECT PASTIME who pinged the start but just didn't get home as had happened back in July over CD. BARKING is the one to take from the race - he jinked right at the start (drawn one) and was soon last but made significant ground in the final 150 yards, not helped by a bit of scrimmaging as the leaders were running into a strong headwind.

The fifth race was a fillies handicap over a mile and LAW OF THE RANGE silenced the crowd when making every yard to win at 33s. This was a really gutsy effort and one or two reputations went down behind her. SOORAH was last early and was the final challenger without ever looking like getting to the winner. RARE TERN was there throughout but never quite got involved. I don't know if it was the ground but a 6 lb hike in the weights isn't going to do her any favours.

The times were very slow yesterday - I think the strong headwind up the straight was a big factor but the ground was easier than it had been the previous Friday and the rail had been moved out dlightly in the back straight as the marks from the weekend were still evident.

Not a big crowd yesterday but more than on Friday which was interesting.

Back