Sandown Review 11 August

stodge

At the Start
A fine evening brought a fair crowd to the Esher slopes for Sandown’s final evening meeting of the summer.

Following 10mm of rain on Tuesday, the ground was officially good (good to soft in places) but the track looked immaculate as always. One of Sandown’s perennial problems is the nearby M25 and a closure near Heathrow Airport following an accident played its part in the evening’s proceedings. The first manifestation was the absence of the team of stalls handlers whose minibus was stuck in the traffic.

This meant that the opening 2-y-o maiden over five furlongs had to be started by flag. I remember staying races at Ascot, Salisbury and Goodwood being started by flag as well as the long-defunct Great Metropolitan Handicap at Epsom and flag starts for experienced staying handicappers aren’t usually a problem but inexperienced juveniles over five furlongs is a completely different matter.

The first attempt resulted in a false start with GANESA well behind the others though I suspect this was by design. The second attempt looked very similar but the starter let them go and SHOSTAKOVITCH was soon leading. His effort only lasted until about halfway when market leader CRUISER went on and looked to be going the best. However, in the final furlong JERRAZZI came from off the pace and cut down the leader close home to win by a head. FORTY PROOF ran on from the rear to finish third in front of CRISTALIYEV, who ran an encouraging race from a poor stall though that disadvantage was somewhat negated by the circumstances of the start.

JERRAZZI was a rare debut winner for Gary Moore who is a hugely successful dual-purpose trainer. He is related to some useful 2-y-o performers and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him gracing the Lingfield Polytrack in the near future. CRUISER did nothing wrong and should find a small maiden. Of the others, HIGH CLASS LADY seemed to be inconvenienced at the start and made little impression.

By race two, the stalls handlers had arrived and normal service was resumed for a Class 4 handicap over five furlongs. This looked a trappy heat with some old friends in opposition but the story is quite simple. CAPE ROYAL got an absolute flyer from the highest draw and was soon leading and looking like the winner but the well-supported TAGULA MAGIC challenged and took over entering the final furlong and won a shade cosily. THE WEE CHIEF finished well for third making it a clean sweep for the high draws and a nice exacta for those who followed the Sandown draw bias.

Of the others, EVEN BOLDER showed signs of a return to form with a decent fourth and any further easing by the handicapper should be noted as he is clearly very close to a winning mark. BRYNFA BOY, whose form is all on faster ground, was disappointing. CAPE ROYAL did everything right but TAGULA NIGHT, from a stable in form, has rediscovered some of his sparkle and I wonder if he may yet take in a race like the Portland at Doncaster or possibly the Ayr Gold Cup if he can get a run.

Race three was a Class 5 2-y-o maiden over seven furlongs. The late withdrawal of MARZANTE owing to the aforementioned traffic problems took something out of the race. They looked a nice bunch in the paddock and I could see why TANFEETH from the Ed Dunlop was fancied. However, I simply don’t recall Ed Dunlop having many debut winners – indeed, all his juveniles seem to improve for the experience. Nonetheless, he had clearly been showing something and was backed in to 13/8 favouritism. However, his inexperienced meant he was awkward at the start while Richard Hughes got MR PERCEPTIVE out and running.

Making all and judging the fractions is part of the jockey’s art and Richard Hughes is currently at the top of his form and it showed here. GAY GALLIVANTER came to challenge a furlong and a half out and battled all the way to the line but Hughes had kept enough in reserve and MR PERCEPTIVE did it well to win by a head. The front two were nicely clear of TORUN CITY who shaped with some promise.

GAY GALLIVANTER wouldn’t be the first Gosden-trained juvenile to come on for her first run but this was a pleasing effort and her breeding suggests she will be better over a little further. MR PERCEPTIVE would be a fair way down the Hannon pecking order but he’s a decent sort and could go on from this. As for TANFEETH, it’s far too early to write him off and he will come on a lot for the experience.

Race four was the evening’s feature, a Class 3 handicap for 3-y-o over seven furlongs. Not surprisingly, ASRAAB was the focus of much of the pre-race interest. He had won a Newmarket maiden last autumn, which has produced a number of winners and didn’t look highly tried despite a long lay-off. He was backed in to 6/5 and was soon covered up and going well off the pace. The race probably didn’t go ideally for Dettori because, as can happen at Sandown, he was trapped on the inside two and a half furlongs out and had to wait for a run. This proved decisive as THRILL, who was ridden closer to the pace, got first run and, in receipt of 4 lbs, was able to just hold on up the hill. MERCHANT OF MEDICI ran another fine race in third – he has been in good form but this was a big step up in grade and he handled it well while RULE OF NATURE continues to frustrate for a stable which is out of sorts at present.

THRILL had, ironically, been off the track almost as long as ASRAAB. She had won a Salisbury maiden on soft ground before finding Listed company too warm at Newmarket. She’s beautifully bred, by Pivotal out of a Cadeaux Genereux mare and this is probably as far as she wants to go but the ease in the ground must have helped and connections will be looking for some black type before long.

ASRAAB ran a perfectly respectable race in defeat. He could be one of those late-developing types that Godolphin does so well with and I wondered if a race like the Cambridgeshire might be on the agenda. I’m reminded that Halling won the big Newmarket handicap on the way to better things and while I wouldn’t make any comparison at this stage, I think ASRAAB could be one to watch. Of the others, ROLLING HILLS set the early pace but was well beaten while WHIRLY DANCER was disappointing.

Race five was a Class 4 handicap over a mile and a quarter. WEATHERVANE was all the rage for his first run in a handicap from the Gosden stable. William Buick sent him into the lead but perhaps he was a shade keen because he was readily headed and beaten a furlong and a half out and this has to go down as a disappointment. SCOTTISH BOOGIE produced a sharp turn of foot and out speeded those like VALIANT KNIGHT and PAINTBALL who had been waited with at the back of the field. SCOTTISH BOOGIE looked a bit wayward in front but held on well. He was getting 10 lbs from VALIANT KNIGHT so the second ran a fine race in defeat. SCOTTISH BOOGIE relished the easier ground and the strong early pace also helped as he had run far too freely last time out.

SCOTTISH BOOGIE could well follow up on easier ground and could enjoy a fruitful autumn campaign. Without being in any way rude, I would put VALIANT KNIGHT over hurdles, as he looks a big type able to carry weight. PAINTBALL also goes on slower ground but the race didn’t quite drop for him and he is close to a winning mark.

Race six was a Class 4 handicap for 3-y-o over a mile and three-quarters. TUSCAN GOLD was backed from evens to 8/11 as he represented the master of Heath House. However, things didn’t go to plan at the end though they did at the start with Sanders dropping the favourite at the rear. YANKEE BRIGHT set a strong pace and was clear on the home turn but was soon reined in and it seemed that TUSCAN GOLD would sweep down the outside and prevail but he simple couldn’t quicken when needed up the hill and was beaten by SIDNEY MELBOURNE, who took the lead two furlongs out and battled it out up the hill.

This was a fine effort following on from his good run at Nottingham and stamina is his forte and two miles wouldn’t be a problem. Whether he could jump hurdles or not I don’t know but I can’t believe connections haven’t considered it. He could make into a decent staying handicapper next year and a race like the Ascot Stakes would be a realistic target. TUSCAN GOLD ran ok and may not have enjoyed the slower ground – it was much quicker when he won over CD a fortnight ago. KILLUSTY FANCY saw the trip out in third and is worth another try in a small handicap.

Back