SatNag. (not my title)

Colin Phillips

At the Start
There was a piece on Radio 5 this evening. Dr. Jeremy Naylor is using satellite technology to enable his work riders to work to his requested speeds.

He puts two (I think) pads under the horses' saddles and the riders have a monitor on their wrists, could also fit on the bridle behind the horse's head.

So instead of giving instructions such as half-pace and three=quarter pace, he can stipulate the speed in miles per hour.

The Radio 5 interviewer then suggested if he wanted the horse to go at 40 mph it could be done, yes said Naylor but they would be doing very well if they managed that.:)

He's been doing that for a few years now Colin. Fudge would be the person to ask about that sort of stuff but when I was involved in a syndicate in the yard it was all plotted up on graphs etc. and you could pinpoint where exactly each horse and rider was during the summer months (ie. when it's possible to gallop on MOD land etc.).

One of the most hard working trainers around given he helps with the veterinary side fo the training courses in Newmarket, lectures at University, trains racehorses and there's a veterinary practice adjacent to the yard.

Martin

I have a heart monitor that I used to use a fair bit and it is a very good indicator how fit your horse is by how quickly its heart rate returns to normal after exercise.

Back