Saturday 18th March 2023

yorick

Conditional
Well, what a week that was.

All in all it was sullied for me by the death of Malinello on Tuesday; that put a dampener on everything but I suppose that is always the risk with chasing, isn't it.

My year long wait for Stattler ended up as a damp squib with the going doing for his chances absolutely. Never travelled a yard from the off and was PU. Not really surprising, given the alarming drift before the race. Heigh-ho.

At uttoxeter there's one that interests me :

Autonomous Cloud - 3.35 Uttoxeter 10/1 Ew

My notes earlier in the season tell me:

19/10 22 Worcs 2m 7f Chase Gd

A desperately slow affair, this. AC looks for all the world a chaser and this was his first race in a h/cap of any sort, having had three novice runs over hurdles.

Who knows what his mark will end up at but he’s a strapping gelding and he maybe didn’t want his h/cap mark spoilt for this pot.
Jumped really well and looks a natural chaser, as he might, given his breeding.
I’m looking forward to seeing where they go with this one.

When I saw he'd been entered for the Midlands Grand National, he was going to be my bet for that but they've swerved the race, choosing this one instead. It's a decent pot, not to be sniffed at and I see no reason not to do him; he's won on soft and heavy and trainer O'Brien shows, remarkably, a profit from his 49 chasers at the course (13 - 49 27% +1.77).

So, for me , it has to be a bet at a good ew price.

That will be my strongest bet of the day but being the chase fan that I am, I feel inclined to have a little ew interest, too, in Bushey Park, who goes half an hour earlier in the Main race of the day, Showing, currently, at 12/1, He'll do ew.

I'll have a small ew double with the two

Nice one - I put him in the notebook same race as you, but took him out after later runs - silly me.

Back