Saturday 1st June

yorick

Conditional
So, June 1st. I’m afraid that no one’s let Norwich know; it’s been more like the 1st November over the last couple of days. The local weather forecasters describe it as ‘changeable’. I don’t see much change, myself; just gunmetal skies and persistent rain. I really do long for some settled, sunny weather; I’m worried that, racing-wise, we may be afflicted by fluctuating and sudden going changes much like the stuff we were served during the last flat turf campaign: terrible and loss - making in the extreme.

Anyway, the season is developing and my alerts are beginning to filter through. There’s a plethora of racing today and it’s a bit of a worry that I’ve got four fancies. You know what I mean: it seems too many for comfort on a Saturday. Still, I shall be brave, pin my colours to the mast and await my public, published humiliation.
I’m hoping that the ground continues to dry out at Epsom for my first shot.

Commander Crouch – 1.25 Epsom 50/1 4 places

Soft ground suddenly happened at Sandown which put the mockers on this one’s chances, I think. If the ground continues to dry out it will be in his favour, no doubt. As for the distance, it’s an unknown but the dam won over 10f and with Silver Hawk the grandsire, I hope that it won’t stretch him too far. He made late headway behind Portsmouth, the favourite here, over 1m 1/2f here two runs ago. 365 are offering 20/1 for six places, should anyone feel inclined.

My second choice is:

On A Session – 2.15 Musselburgh 13/2 Ew

This fellow’s twice a C/D winner and below his LWR. He ran two cracking races at Chester last term off 90 and 87 and now is lodged on 80 so I’m hopeful of a good show.

My next attempt will be:

Global skies – 4.00 Musselburgh 10/1 Ew

On his penultimate run, his first handicap, the jockey seemed quite content to let this gelding race way out the back. Come the final furlong he ran on into third and was definitely catching the first two. It seemed a further distance might be required and, indeed, it was provided last time out but he ran no race, really, although only beaten 5L in the end. It may be that the good ground was against him that day. Over 10f again and this time on G/Sft, I’m hopeful. Trainer Brookhouse has two winners from his last three runners so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that he doesn’t blow the start, As you may know, once I find a horse is an habitual slow-starter, I’m very unforgiving and am inclined to let it go. We’ll see.

Lastly, I remind myself of the comments I made after this one ran last time out:

'Anyway, back to Chatterbox. After a leisurely tour around the back of the field for just about all of the race, I was laughing as the jock did what they do, to convince any idiot who cared, that they were, at some point trying: you know - all that ‘elbow riding’ and bumping up and down arrhythmically in the saddle until, blow me down, the thing started to actually make progress. In the end you know, she actually finished sixth, with the race comment:
‘Towards rear, not fluent 1st, some headway after 3 out, kept on up the centre after 2 out, never near to challenge (tchd 50/1)’
This, after a drift from an early 16/1 out to 50/1 at the off (Ahem). I shall be very interested indeed to see where this mare turns up next. I’ll keep you posted.'
After scathing comments like that, I simply must be on, mustn’t I? This is her first handicap hurdle and I’m intrigued to see what transpires.

Chatterbox – 4.10 Listowel Ew

So, four Saturday bets.

I await my penury punishment
🥚
😳

On Global Skies also. Looks a tough race and yes the slow starting is a worry but he did make inroads the last day, like the step back in trip.

On Global Skies also. Looks a tough race and yes the slow starting is a worry but he did make inroads the last day, like the step back in trip.
Not sure what to make of that run. He seemed all over the place in running, don't you think? What's your opinion on what went on there?

I think he's just losing too much ground both at the start and when he's asked to make his effort from the rail to the outside. Ideal would be a track where he can stay on the rail and make his effort from there.

Back