Saturday 24th June 2023

yorick

Conditional
So, the final day of the Wallet scorcher we call Royal Ascot. I've learnt, over the years, to treat the festival as a celebration of the best that flat racing has to offer and most useful as a moving notebook for the season ahead. Nowadays, I enjoy the eye candy but keep the betting stakes small.

This Saturday, while the sumptuous feast is served up to the ennobled Ascot throng, my bets shall be dining below stairs with the hoi polloi at Newmarket, Ayr and Redcar.

Anyone who has bothered to follow my ramblings over the weeks may remember me taking quite a liking to:

Squealer - Redcar 4.02 15/2 Ew

I have been sufficiently impressed previously for his name to jump out at me when I saw him engaged in a Class 4 5f handicap on g/f going. Bearing in mind that I had visions of a pattern entry or two eventually, how could I not throw some shekels in his direction today?

Next, I am plumping for:

Haliphon - Ayr 2.59 12/1 Ew

I remember backing this when he ran a mighty race at Epsom the season before last, losing by a nose on the line @ 25/1 (OR 85) and I backed him to repeat the show in this year's renewal. To my eyes, he was travelling sweetly enough round Tattenham Corner but became a little unbalanced up the home straight in what was a decent race. Finishing 4th that day, his mark has dropped to 87 for this. When we note that he beat Alfred Boucher (2nd in the Ebor) last year at Chester off 90, this must be a worthy Ew bet at the 12/1 on offer. For those who like to bear this type of thing in mind, it is trainer Williams' only horse at the meeting and jockey Ben Sanderson's only ride

Lastly, I'm going for:

Traila - Newmarket 3.17 16/1 Ew

Yes, top weight but that doesn't unnerve me since I'm taken by two shows last term over the distance the first of which was over today's course racing off 90 in a class 2. He put up a decent show that day and then failed by a short head to catch The Gadget Man off 88in another class 2 event.

Here, he's off 86 and down to class 4 so top weight holds no fears for me whatsoever. After all, King Eagle is favourite off his 1/2L win in a class 5 last time out.

Meanwhile, at the top table there are a few i'll be having the merest of tickles on:

Snellen - 2.30 Ascot 12/1 Ew
The Antartic - 3.05 Ascot 11/2 Ew
Cuban Dawn - 5.35 Ascot Ew 12/1 Ew
Typewrier - 6.10 Ascot 18/1 Ew

In the mind-bending Wokingham, I have a sneaking fancy for Saint Lawrence, who I backed in the Stewards Last year, only for him to blow it with a desperately tardy start. I thought he acquitted himself quite nicely first time up this season at Newmarket, in a quiet sort of way, and let's not forget that this time last year they were running him in group company. Most notably, in the Group 1 King's Stand Stakes over 5f off 104, where the race commentary reads:

'Held up in rear, pushed along over 2f out, ridden over 1f out, headway inside final furlong, kept on, not reach leaders'

Blimey.

He wore blinkers that day and although they've been removed for his last three starts, they're reapplied for this and he's recently been gelded and changed stables. The combination Of Watson and Doyle were successfull yesterday.

yup, as predicted.

I'm afraid Squealer was hindred by the inexperience of his apprentice jockey, who didn't ride a good race at all imo.

Not his fault, I suppose, but experience gives you the ability to put your mount into the race at the right time: race-riding. He didn't do that. Again, only my opinion.

Last edited:
First class tipping mate.saint Lawrence had to be backed after reading your reasoning.nice double

Last edited:
Back