Saturday 26th August 2023

yorick

Conditional
The last day of the Ebor meeting and great racing in store, eh?

However, bearing in mind the fiercely competitive nature of today's cards and the sheer weight of races, I shall bet on very few. Also, as you will no doubt have noticed, my ability to back winners these days is the worst.

Still, I have picked three out as my main things, with a couple of other 'mentions' thrown in.

I have always liked the Melrose handicap and I have my eye on one for this; a horse who I think is on the upgrade and who is bottom of the handicap in the form of Alhambra Palace (2.25 York).

He's won two on the bounce, where he was ridden by the promising apprentice Adam Farragher, who claims the 3Lbs. It's interesting that he has also been the jockey when Lordship, another Haggas runner has won his last three. Today he's on the bottom weight and I suppose it wasn't his choice but that of Tom Marquand, who's aboard Lordship. However, there's something about Alhambra Palace, perched on bottom weight here, that stands out:

Alhambra Palace - 2.25 York 8/1 Ew

Because I could see other dangers, I'll do a comb tricast with Alhambra Palace, Goldenstatewarrior and Denmark

In the Ebor, you could pick a dozen, probably, and make a plausible case for all of them. I have plumped for the Frankie-Mullins combo with:

Absurde 3.35 York 9/1 Ew

This one had a good prep behind Vauban at Ascot with Frankie up and has had a run since at Galway since so he should be cherry-ripe here. I have a feeling this one may be under-exposed.

I also took 50/1 ante post for Get Shirty Ew as a possible fancy at that massive price. What's more, I'll have a tiny saver, too, on Scampi.

Lastly, my bet of the day has to be:

Albasheer - 4.10 York 20/1 Ew

This fellow absolutely scorched home late on in the Wokingham and his two runs since were run under less than ideal conditions for the horse. His next next race after that Wokingham effort was at the Curragh where the draw and the ground were simply wrong. What a fantastic run he put in, under those circumstances, to finish 7th. Last time out, the heavy ground for the Stewards would not have been wanted at all so that was another creditable run to finish 8th that day. Got 20/1 three days ago.

Today, at last, we see conditions to suit off a mark 3Lbs lower than the Wokingham on g/f ground. Good. His draw in 13 is feasible, too. I think the far rail will be the place to be and if the field split into two groups, I could see him dropping in behind the far side group, ready for a late challenge.

So, there's my three and I'll have a little interest in:

Komat - 2.05 Goodwoood. Ran well at Royal Ascot, giving the impression that today's 7f will suit.

Apparate - 2.45 Newmarket. Backed this one lto but it was withdrawn.

That's my lot.

Well done mate.2 nice winners.
Back to the drawing board for me.

I did have a saver on albasheer.

Back