Saturday 4th November 2023

yorick

Conditional
After a positively dire week's racing, we're back, at last, to some quality with today's cards.

It being Saturday and still early season, one cannot be trumpeting one's selections too brashly but I put a few up here FYI and will enjoy the sport. Stakes will be accordingly modest to insure against too much wallet abrasion Decent runs are, of course, to be hoped for.

Mount Temple - 1.15 Wetherby 9/1 Ew 4 places

I noted this gelding put in a promising round of jumping lto behind Iceo and, for a time, looked like he'd trouble the winner before running out of puff. I'm hoping he'll be fitter for this and appreciate the rise in trip. Stable not really firing on all cylinders, though, at the moment, it has to be said.

Passing Well - 1.30 Ascot 5/1 bog Ew

They haven't wasted any time before throwing this one into the chasing ranks, have they. Bred for the job, I shall look forward to seeing how he jumps. Cruz Control I see as a potential danger.

Freres D'Armes - 2.05 Ascot 7/1 Ew Bog

I cannot take my mind off his beating of Haddex Des Obeaux last term at Kempton. Now in his second season, we might expect improvement for this one. He looks low enough in the weights here to be of interest. Naturally, there are doubts; I'm not sure, more hoping, that the soft ground will suit and with the concern over stable for for Skelton already mentioned above.

Two For Gold - 3.45 Ascot 11/1 Ew 4 places

Although 10yo, TFG is lightly raced, with only 24 rules races completed. He's a C/D winner who's won on the soft and I'm hoping he'll have enough class to figure here.

4 x singles
Ew L15

Lastly, I simply have to be doing:

Aplomb - 1.02 Newmarket 11/1 Ew first 6 places Skybet

I really do think this should have won his penultimate race, think he's on a good mark and is below his LWM. However, I'm not sure that the heavy ground will be to his liking and so my optimism is tempered. Otherwise he'd be a top bet imo. Racing being what it is, there always seems to be one lfy or other in the ointment, as they say.

Aplomb ran on to be 3rd & I backed it in the 3 place market (is this the aftertimer thread?) Nice start:thumbsup:

He did, I do like a Lope De Vega in the soft but of course it's heavy at HQ (paid 4.37 in the 3 place market)

Last edited:
Back