Saturday 5th October 2024

yorick

Conditional
As predicted, yesterday's outcome was the drought following the glut. The one main bet sank like a stone and the other tentative selections produced one winner and much 'meah', meaning so-so and nothing noteworthy.

Today, I'm going for two:

Go Athletico - 1.50 Ascot 15/2 Ew

I've been following Rumstar and today might have been the day, as far as backing goes, but the soft/heavy ground is just not the right conditions in my opinion. I think the same applies to Beautiful Diamond. Although he's won on the heavy, I reckon that Miaharris may find this a little beyond her

Given the ground and horses' profiles, I feel that this heat may concern favourite Relief Rally and Go Athletico. The former's chances are obvious, hence the 11/8 price. However, given the price and profile of Go Athletico, I'm finding the current 15/2 too tempting to pass up. He has his ground and one looks back to his autumn 23 beating of Big Gossey on the soft at The Curragh. Yes, that was over 6f but this testing 5f will suit, too, I think. At any rate, the price on show looks solid ew material to me.

United Approach - 3.35 Ascot 12/1 Ew

I was most impressed by this one's first run of the season in May at Newbury behind Lethal Levi and have backed him twice subsequently. I know two consecutive seconds can be off-putting to some and his rating has been upped 2Lbs as a result, but I'm hoping that the soft ground (has won on it) and this bottom weight may be enough to propel him into places at least. Pieces first time may help, too.
I'll have a tiny insurance bet on Mirsky (another I've followed this term) who also sports first-time eyewear. (22/1)

Talking insurance, Twelfth Night in the Redcar last might pop up. Stranger things have happened.

Last edited:
Back