Saturday 9th September

yorick

Conditional
A convoluted affair, racing today. No change there for a Saturday, eh?

I've picked a few here but they're selected for sporting purposes, really. I shall enjoy the Saturday Summer feast but wouldn't have the same confidence as I've had for a couple recently. So I share FYI:

Victory Dance - 3.10 Ascot 3/1 Win
Has group form and sports blinkers for the first time.

Tabdeed - 4.25 Thirsk 8/1 Ew
It's just a little over a year since this one ran second in the Stewards off 100. Not over raced since, he a fresh horse, having run only twice this term and his last run, in the Wokingham, was a really nice effort. The finishing position doesn't give a true reflection since he ran well for a long way. Off this mark of 96, it's possible that this lad could pop up for trainer Archie Watson, who's been farming some big sprint pots this year.

Muzaffer - 6.10 Thirsk 3/1 Win
Not the greatest of handicaps and the main question here is who will stay the 1m 6f. I'm thinking my selection will see these off. He's been running in better class and the extra yardage in this race may eke out some improvement.

3 x Singles
Win Trixie

Escobar - 2.35 Ascot 28/1 Ew (I shall take 20/1 6 places for the single bet)
The was something about his last run at Goodwood that made me take notice inasmuch as I thought it was ridden for another day. He's well enough handicapped to feature, all being well; his last win came over c/d off 107 last October. 97 today.

Look Out Louie - 4.10 Haydock 10/1 Ew
I backed this one last time out and was extremely disappointed with his run. So today, in a race he won last year off 95, he's down to a comparatively paltry 86. They apply the visor to concentrate his mind and if they have the desired effect, he could be thrown in.

Euchlan Glen - 3.00 Haydock 10/1 Ew
I won't be forgetting last year at Goodwood , when EG was a most unlucky 7th behind Trawlerman (Won Ebor next time out). off 102. His last run this year was in the Ebor, where he ran a great race, showing, once again, that Uncle Jim trains horses that keep their form even as they age. I do think that off 97 he is a nice price to frame and I could see him drifting to longer than the present 10/1.

3 x Singles
Ew Trixie

Lastly, I'll have a little ew on Misty Grey. On offer at 40/1.
Another example, this race, where value is lost with the nr reducing the field to seven runners and only two places. For ew punters, of which there are millions, this makes the race less attractive and many ew bets will be radically altered.

I don't suppose the racing authorities give a tinker's cuss about this kind of thing, which happens with incredible and increasing frequency. Nobody seems to care about the everyday punter anymore as the betting firms/BHA have racing rans by the nuts and just keep squeezing.

It actually has made me decrease my interest in racing and consequently the number of bets I place.

Anyway, a lovely day's racing . Let's hope I get decent runs for my money.

Good luck, whatever you pick.

Rather surprisingly Victory Dance is a down in class, up in distance, debut handicap qualifier. Wish he was 20/1 like most of them! GL.

Last edited:
Pants old day and had to wait for the last pick to win.

Oh well, good sport and not too much damage done with limited stakes comparatively. :)

Back