Saturday Fancy

Simon

At the Start
In the 6:40 at Ayr, Flying Statesman makes his return after an absence since last June. I know it contradicts what I've said in another thread, but I don't think this one will be beaten. I can't see why it's 11/10, I'd have expected odds-on, surely? It's certainly got good form, its first run last year it was narrowly beaten by No Hubris and beat Beethoven who was third. In its second start it hosed up, beating a Godolphin horse now rated 110. In its third start it was well beaten at Royal Ascot, but that was no disgrace, and I'd like to see any of its opposition from today get within 15 lengths of Canford Cliffs.

Any thoughts?

Beat the Dewhurst winner on his debut. Went on to beat the horse which came a close second to St Nicholas Abbey in the Beresford Stakes and excused his run at Ascot as he finished lame. All good so far, but what is a horse like that worth? Surely a lot more than £15,000 which is his claiming price tonight, so connections have trumpeted to the world that this horse either has major problems or hasn't trained on. A conundrum.

I have wimped out, anyway, Rory. I won't be backing it. I just can't back a horse that's been off the track for 400 odd days with any form of confidence.

Beat the Dewhurst winner on his debut. Went on to beat the horse which came a close second to St Nicholas Abbey in the Beresford Stakes and excused his run at Ascot as he finished lame. All good so far, but what is a horse like that worth? Surely a lot more than £15,000 which is his claiming price tonight, so connections have trumpeted to the world that this horse either has major problems or hasn't trained on. A conundrum.

Good reply, tow sides to the coin on this one. A Betfair horse if ever there was one. Trainer/Jockey combo should see this be a layers price rather than a backers price at the off.

Good reply, tow sides to the coin on this one. A Betfair horse if ever there was one. Trainer/Jockey combo should see this be a layers price rather than a backers price at the off.

these are the worse value bets ever..apparent better horse dropped to a claimer..i'll back blindly the 2nd and 3rd fav against it every time..will do here as well

I agree I would be a layer but to me it is one of the more interesting races on the card.

Last edited:
Into Evens just now, seems money's coming for him just before the off.

Kaitlin's Fancy's second to Amaretto Rose at Punchestown must rate strong form in the context of the 8.05 in Kilbeggan. Worry is that he'll be given too much to do over an inadequate test. Galway Legend may well be thrown in if he can rediscover his best form as well.

Also worrying is the fact I wouldn't tip rubbish at present.

Back