Saturday June29th 2024

yorick

Conditional
God day to anyone reading this. I've finally crept out from beneath my stone and have found a few to do this summer Saturday.

My last blog was full of shame and bewilderment at the way my selections had been running, which led me to almost close down on my betting until such time as I felt more comfortable with my choices. In truth, I've learnt a big lesson this spring. It's one thing to note a horse who runs promisingly but if that horse is running in a low class, there's a reason for it: inconsistency is the key. I think that it proves better for me to look at better classed races - Cl4 at least and above . These are more likely to come from the better class meetings and festivals. Then the war chest is more promisingly stocked, I think. If I've marked one run at one of these meetings and then I see it downgraded, perhaps running in a more moderate midweek race., the chances of picking a winner are increased.

Probably taking an interest in good - class Saturday fare is a good idea to look for more note-worthy candidates and today I have a mixture of noted horses and then some which re form choices, or my reading of the form anyway.

It's difficult to choose one bet above all others because, although I have some noted horses running, there are some questions that some need to answer. So:

Montassib - 2.04 Newcastle 4/1
Have followed this one this season and last and this looks like a good opportunity

United Approach 3.40 Newcastle 4/1
A strongly noted horse last time out but the snag is it's never raced on the surface

Spring Bloom - 4.25 Windsor 4/1
Followed in the past. Below winning mark and the question is will it cope with the 6f? I'm hoping maturity may help with this.

2x win Singles
Ew Trixie

Rizg - 1.35 Newcastle 20/1Ew.

This is a big price. Off the course for a long time and never raced on the surface but into handicap company and I'll take an Ew chance to see how this works out.

Artisan - 3.10 Newcastle 40/1 Ew.
Gave the impression in May (over the course) that staying may be the game. It wouldn't be the first Johnston horse to improve for a distance of ground and for that, it's a fantastic price I can't ignore. Five places with 365 at that price.

Commander Crouch - 5.40 Lingfield Ew 12/1 last night with 365
I think this one has had it's chances spoilt of late by 'soft' being in the going description. so I've been waiting for the ground. Of course, they enter into this having raced on the polytrack just once, at Kempton: last of eight but a winner on Tapeta at Southwell. I backed this ew last night at 12's and the dreaded daytime gamble has shrunk the price to 9/2 - I have been warned.

3 x Ew singles
Ew Trixie

Will add a sporting Ew little nibble on Haveyoumissedme (2.35 Newcastle) this has disappointed me so much in some of its runs but was second in this two years ago off 6Lbs higher OR. Belgoprince (also 9/1) has a look about it too @ 9/1 with Doyle up. The horse bolted up when he came over to Epsom last summer over 12f. Only beaten less than 5L at Naas over 2m on the soft subsequently. Who knows? this may have been the plan.

So, there I go. It'll be back to the damp, dark conditions of my sub-stone habitat after this, I shouldn't wonder but hey ho. I expect nothing less but thought I'd share my hopes.

Yes, cheers Al. Followed the fav all the way and then struck. Lovely ride from Cieren there. An improved horse, I think.

A big step up in class. And making the running? really? Not his style at all.

Stewards prep.

Spring Bloom didn't get the 6f but where the feck did that winner come from? I think I could stare at that form all day long and never pick it out.

Bleurgh!
My Commander crouch disappointed a lot. Not only that he didn't win but my Ew bet being beaten by a head.

I'm not sure if it's back to the drawing board with this one although he hadn't raced on Lingfield AW before. A head scratcher.

Last edited:
Overall, an enjoyable day's racing. Only the one winner courtesy of the improving Montassib but I didn't feel cheated by any of my runners. so that's good.

There a couple of mine going today but they race in Eire and those big Curragh races always have me by the short 'n curlies: no idea. So I'll do them but they'll be shots in the dark really and they'll be done as 'insurance purposes, as you might say, DO. I'll not be able to resist a punt in the Summer Cup at Uttoxeter, too; you know me and my staying chases.
My three punts will be 'lightly pencilled', as they say in the casting business :

JMm Jungle - 2.40 Curragh Ew 17/2 Ew 5 places 365
You know, this ran like a pig for me last time out but I still believe this was an improving 3yo last back end so I'll stay loyal here, hoping they were saving him for this bigger pot.

Couer D'Or - 4.40 Curragh 9/2 Ew 5 places 365
One noted at Ascot in the Hunt Cup and I'm hoping that this doesn't come too soon after just eleven day

Hang In There - 3.00 Uttoxeter 9/1 Ew 5 places Sky
It's a complete mystery to me why they've only tried this lad once previously over 3m. He's bred to stay, isn't. Well they tried lto and he ran second in a fast-paced affair. Top weight but I think the action here might be between the top two.

That's what I'll be doing and I hope, as usual, I get a run.

Back