Saturday's bets

• Thread starter Thread starter Kathy
  • Start date Start date
K

Kathy

Some cracking racing today. I was going to go to Ascot but decided to go to Kempton instead to support Star Strider ridden by Martin Dwyer.

It's almost like a normals day racing today now that the harsh weather conditions have subsided.

Wincanton looks like a cracking card too. I would love Punjabi to get his head in front today - but I have a feeling the price will be very short.

Best of luck with whatever you back today!:D

I've yet to have a winning Saturday this year so I'll tread carefully. I'm well up on the year but every Saturday has been an utter bloodbath. Therefore it'll be small stakes at value prices for me today.

The 2.35 Lingfield is competitive and Scarab doesn't interest me in the top of market. He hasn't look straightforward and he had the run of the race when he won last time out at Kempton. American Spin looks to be improving with every run and his maiden win hasn't worked out too badly but I don't think 7/2 is value. I'd look further down the market at the double figures horses for the value in this race.

Ameeq
was 25/1 this morning and is still 20/1 with Hills but has been backed across the boards, Gary Moore runs four here and he certainly knows the time of day but this 7 year old has been running in novice chases of late but his record on the all-weather reads 2 wins and 1 second from 3 runs. The other one of interest is War Of The Roses who has ran in class 2 and 3 company on his last 2 starts and was outclassed off a higher mark, back in lesser company, he could make his mark over a C&D he has thrived over, clocking some excellent times in this company back in October. I thought Sam Lord was big at 18s too but I've talked myself out of that one now!

In the 3.05 Lingfield, Andaman Sunset appeals at 20/1 in a pretty poor handicap. He won his only previous start over todays distance at Great Leighs for Geoff Wragg in a decent time back in September so handles the surface and Lingfield should suit. Connections paid 22k for him at the sales and he didn't run too badly on his reappearance last year so the break shouldn't affect him too much. If the horse was still with Geoff Wragg, it'd be about 7/1. My only concern would be the form of the Spearing yard. Any money for the Curley runner would be very worrying too.

In the 3.35 Lingfield, Internationaldebut steps back to a mile after contesting very hot handicaps over 1m2f in recent Saturdays at the Surrey venue. He arguably hasn't been getting home over that trip and has dropped a few pounds in the handicap as a result. He has won over C&D and the stable is starting to pick up again after hitting a bit of a flat spot. In a race which isn't particularly strong for the grade, racing just 2lb above his last winning mark, the 9/1 looks pretty generous.

In the 4.05 Lingfield, I like Saltagioo a lot and I backed him pretty heavily last time out at Wolverhampton. However, the Botti yard were not in form then and he weakened towards the finish when he looked in a strong position turning for home. With the yard in better (although not sensational) form, I think he could come out on top against some horses who find winning difficult. A multiple winner in Italy he ran very well behind Folio at Great Leighs in a very quick time. Back to a mile going right handed should suit him better than his other UK visits to the racecourse and 8/1 is pretty attractive.

I also fancy Imperial Harry in the 9.20 Wolverhampton, 15/2 seems massive but I don't trust David Pipe as far as I can throw him so I'll see how the afternoon goes before making a decision on backing him but his time at Kempton last time out was very impressive for the grade. He's up 11 pounds and this is very competitive but if it's a going day I'd be surprised if he was out of the first three.

Last edited:
Had a few bets at Ascot today;

A cracking novices chase to start proceedings at 1.05 but its hard to get away from Breedsbreeze who has steadily improved this season and looked a horse going places with an impressive win over Massini’s Maguire last time. That form has since been franked and the yard should have an idea of where he stands with Ballyfitz having got the horse that beat him 7L last time in the yard. Carruthers could appear a big danger and was useful over hurdles. He done everything as expected on his chasing debut but will need to improve again to beat Breedsbreeze.

My Turn Now (1.40) is clearly having his chase mark protected for a big handicap at the festival and its interesting to see him back over hurdles today. The Mann yard is in fairly good form and whilst he hasn’t been seen to the best of his ability over fences, he was a smart novice hurdler last season. Dancing Tornado is 12lb higher than he would be in his native Ireland but having been running well over inadequate trips he is sure to be suited by this 2m 4f handicap. He could go well. The same should be said of Belcantista who comes here in good order and was a solid 2nd in a top handicap last time. Much will depend on how he deals with the longer trip. Dave’s Dream is another who has done little wrong, whilst Serabad, Whiteoak, Lough Derg and Mamlook can all be considered. American trilogy sports the blinkers for the first time and is another to note but hasn’t done anything in 3 starts to suggest he wants this trip. Dancing Tornado still looks ahead of the grader to me and now tacking his ideal trip is the value.

Voy Por Ustedes (2.15) Looked a big improver over a longer trip this season and shaped well for a long way in the King George. He still has plenty going for him and should be too good for Gwanako who would be 18lb better off in a handicap. A bigger danger is likely to be Tamarinbleu who could get an easy time of it up front but he seems to save his best for being fresh nowadays.

Vino Griego (4.25) made a good impression in a decent Newbury bumper last month but despite carrying a penalty JAU has to be the selection. Anthony Honeyball’s Kayf Tara gelding beat the best of Paul Nicholls’ bumper horses on debut and despite the 2nd running green there looked no fluke about the result as the pair pulled a long way clear. He looked very promising on that occasion and its interesting to see connections have elected to book Chocolate Thornton for this highly regarded sort who was given 2 or 3 options this week. Currently a 50/1 shot for the Champion Bumper I expect his price to shorten this week.

Had a fun yankee on those highlighted, although gone in singularly on Mamlook, Jau and Dancing tornado.

I have another hangover though - who was it that was knocking trends the other day.

For a change I'm going to oppose VPU. King should be training him for Cheltenham again and he's been turned over in his penultimate races for the last two seasons. Tamarinbleu on the other hand, tends to flatter to deceive at Cheltenham, but wins his preps. He's 3 from 4 round Ascot too.

Can some one remind me whether I've stopped backing Central House yet. I thought I had a long time ago...

I can see your logic Galileo.Unfortunately I am due to fly at 115 so I will miss most of the action.I have dumped the balance of my betfair account on Breedsbreeze at 2.34

Back