Saturday's Fancies

Tout Seul

Senior Jockey
I have a habit of following or 'adopting' horses that take my eye for some reason. I was fortunate enough to back Akilak (2.05 New.) FTO over hurdles and have followed his career ever since. Johnson seems to have him ready early every season and he goes well on soft ground. A decent price today provides a slightly speculative opportunity for a decent EW bet.

Donegal, Weapons Amnesty and Binocular all cracking bets today imo.
Also fancy Golden Flight in the last at Newcastle at a big price feel the blinkers will make a big difference not to mention he is running off what seems a very low weight.
Really hoping Denman can win the Hennessy would love to see him back to his best so we can start looking forward to the decider between Kauto and himself. The Gold cup could be the race to cap what may be one of the best festivals in living memory

I wonder if smart chaser Nacarat can give Big Buck's a race today. Shame there aren't 8 runners.

I fancy Solwhit to beat Binocular.

I think Pasco (Akilak's race) might have been hit hard by the handicapper if he'd stayed up last time. He might well be a blot.

I also think Shamari might be the major unexposed runner in the Gerry Fielden.

I think Horner Woods's Foxhunters' form stands out in the Rehearsal.

I think Pasco (Akilak's race) might have been hit hard by the handicapper if he'd stayed up last time. He might well be a blot.

I think that might prove to be very good form. I admit to having my winnings counted until realising Mount Oscar was reeling Pasco back. There were some nice types well beaten there, not to mention a huge plunge on a Pipe horse.

I think Horner Woods's Foxhunters' form stands out in the Rehearsal.

RSA you mean, DO. I thought he was flattered to finish so close given the pace they went. Nevertheless, it's probably the strongest piece of form on over though I'm not sure the greater emphasis on speed today will suit.

One who it should suit is The Last Derby; raised 10lbs for his Ascot success last time (form that looks pretty solid) is harsh enough, but he remains unexposed and will be suited down to the ground by 3m on a flat track on decent ground, allowing him to use his turn of foot. Would hope to see him jump a shade more fluently as well today.

I'm in the Horner Woods fan club. The RSA was the first time he had a thorough test of stamina and I thought it was that and his generally sound jumping that saw him fare as well as he did in the race rather than being flattered as such. It's not like he was off the bridle in rear for a long way before closing up late, he did travel like the second or third best horse in the race.

Fair enough. I'm just not sure he's going to get as thorough a stamina test today as he would ideally like, leaving him vulnerable to the likes of the Griffin horse.

Better ground clearly considered important for both horses.

Of course. My mistake. I'd been looking at Cappa Bleu closely re the Hennessy and got the two races mixed up.

Horner Woods at least ran better than earlier. I wouldn't be surprised to see this one popping up at a nice price in a decent race.

Horner Woods at least ran better than earlier. I wouldn't be surprised to see this one popping up at a nice price in a decent race.

When do you mean by earlier? I thought he was pretty dissapointing on the whole, with his jumping in particular letting him down in the closing stages.

The Last Derby is one I will be steering clear of until he proves he can jump like anything other than a pig. Did well to stay in contention for as long as he did having jumped atrotiously throughout.

It's a pity I didn't log in earlier -I was against the Noel Meade 11 yo in the claimer at Wolves-averaged 11-10 for my money -dropped away tamely 6 furlongs out.

Just glancing back through yesterday's Newcastle card, Bygones Of Brid looked one to keep on the right side of in the 2m6f novice hurdle. Thought he was value for a bit more than the margin at the line given that he made a total hash of the last, allowing Going Wrong (a progressive horse himself) back into it.

Weapon's Amnesty (yet another Byrnes plunge) did well to win yesterday given that he almost certainly wasn't suited to being held up off a very sedate gallop for much of the race. Will be seen to much better effect given a stiffer test and certainy has scope to improve in the jumping department; would be interesting to see him pitch up on decent ground over 3m at Leopardstown Christmas meeting.

Abbeybraney wouldn't have been suited to the slow pace either, and ran a very encouraging race, despite simply being outpaced on the dash to home (jumping somewhat went to pieces when the pace lifted as well). One to look out for in a well-run 3m+ handicap.

Last edited:
Back