Saturday's Racing

trackside528

At the Start
Looks a pretty decent day on the whole. Decent National Hunt card at Kempton highlighted by the RP Trophy, which, predictably enough, looks fiendishly tough. Elsewhere on the card I like the look of Alfie Flits in the Dovecote, with the flat track and decent ground likely to suit, though the Henderson horse might well be a star.

At Fairyhouse I'll be having a decent bet in the maiden hurdle on Erritt Lake. Won his bumper nicely at Punchestown (form nothing special, though Boston's Angel ran a creditable race in a hot-looking bumper at Leopardstown) before running a satisfactory first race over hurdles behind Tinakellylad. Jumped very poorly that day and if he improves his jumping I expect him to win with the extra half-mile sure to suit. I'm happy to oppose Ten Fires who looks relatively exposed at this point IMO and Themoonandsixpence, who I reckon is absolutely crying out for better ground. If he is anywhere near the 6/1 forecast in the Racing Post, I reckon he rates a decent bet with a saver on Danderry, who ran a decent race in what could turn out to be a nice maiden hurdle at Naas last time.

Any other fancies?

Just had a quick glance at the card. Southern Vic has been supported for the National so I would expect to see his full hand tomorrow. I thought Green Black would have won a beginners chase by now although the Racing Post tissue of 7/2 won't have me getting out of bed early.

Rest of the card looks a bit of a minefield to me tbh, Gearoid. Coffee Tea Or Me looks opposable in the juvenile hurdle on the ground. Chevalier Country perhaps?

Southern Vic is my National pick. Hopefully he'll run a big race tomorrow, too.

I'd be willing to take a chance that Donegal would show significant improvement. In the 3.45 (the easiest race on the card!) it has to be Panzer Chief. He looked like playing a big part in the finish (traded at 4.2 in running, SP 9/1) before being pulled up three from home at Gowran Park last time out. I think he has a bit in hand here and Arthur Moore's horses have been running credibly of late. I'd certainly have him over Chateau D'eau who he beat he had 7 lengths behind at Christmas.

I take your point about Erritt Lake in the 4.20 but a race like that is pretty simple for me, follow the early market.

Last edited:
Lacdoudal win and place at 16.5 on Betfair for the RP Chase. Ran well last time out (first chase for ages) and he`s an old favourite of mine who`s well handicapped. Fast pace here will suit.

Usual nightmare at Lingfield on a Saturday, small fields so going to be no pace on. Two listed races though. After I spent ages doing a write up last week I won't bother this week but Al Muheer is overpriced in the last and Majuro should take the hot handicap. I expect the listed prizes to fall to Suits Me and Duff.

I backed Battlecry ante-post (50+) last week for the National so am hopeful of at least a promising run in the big one today. I took the 22/1 with Skybet rather than the 25s elsewhere as they were going 5 places.

The horse is seriously well handicapped but today might me just one more step along the way to Aintree.

I've also taken a small ew about Pass Me By in the Eider.

I have called him a dog on here before but I like Conna Castle at a decent price today. Very nicely weighted and Jimmy Mangan wouldn't be bringing him over if he wasn't without a chance

Have taken 20's about Pass Me By under a light weight in the Eider and loves these gruelling stamina tests and also some 33's about Stan (was in a hurry so had to take what was there) - respectable form at 3m, in good form this season and Venetia's horses are flying at the moment. Definitely worth a few quid each way.

Usual nightmare at Lingfield on a Saturday, small fields so going to be no pace on. Two listed races though. After I spent ages doing a write up last week I won't bother this week but Al Muheer is overpriced in the last.

Good spot and well backed too.

Cheers Steve, glad someone spotted it!

It's the first Saturday of the year I've made profit. Everything I seem to back at Lingfield gets pipped on the line. I had some daft multiple and there must have been about less than 2 feet between £26 and £2500 in the end!

Well done Gamla - I had a truly disastrous day: my most annoying result along with the rush of 2nds (and 4ths for the e/ws, and a couple of straight FCTs whcih came in the wrong way round) was backing Possol at 12.5 WITHOUT THE FAVOURITE - he did come 2nd, but Arrgghh!

Back