Saturday's Racing

betsmate

At the Start
Lots of good racing today so let's have a thread for everything but the big races...

Infamous Angel @ 16/1 2.55 Goodwood

A dead eight field make immediately has me on the look out for an each way shot and the fact that this is a listed race and the principles have been running in handicaps and on the all weather all the more so.

Infamous Angel is a G2 Lowther Stakes winner with an Irish 1000 Guineas entry. Last year she was beaten on debut before following up with a win two weeks later. This year she made her debut in a G3 a couple of weeks ago and will presumably come on for the run.

Stamina a doubt? Possibly but there are plenty of negatives for others in the field. I just like the price.

Anyone have strong feelings on Casual Conquest vs. Spanish Moon in the five-runner Jockey Club Stakes?

I'm hoping for a win by CC to start off a strong season for him. Dermot Weld's horses seem to be coming into form in the last couple of weeks after a slow start.

I can make a decent case for Heliodor in the Listed race I believe through Redwood. If the winner of the Fielden is as good as i think he is (25/1 for the Derby even though he'll need supplementing) and tipped as the Dante winner by ..... Nick Mordin:blink: The anything that can get within 3.5L's of him at a true pace whilst giving the impression of needing further than 9F, ought to be up to winning a listed race at 10F's under similar ground conditions.

Although the going at Saint Cloud would have no similarities, the second horse home in the Fielden (Drumbeat, beaten 2L's by Redwood) came runner up to Fame & Glory in the back end Criterium Gp1 (beaten 0.5L). Drumbeat was only 1.5L's ahead of Heliodor who had On Our Way just back in 4th. It gives it a kind of form boost of sought that suggests that Redwood is up to a Gp1 standard, and I'm inclined to think Helidor is nudging Gp3

The Godolphin fav looks a bit questionable at the price given that he's only raced once on turf and came 5th before concentrating on the artifical stuff, (where he's been impressive under Margasson) but I'm not sure I'd be rushing out to take 7/4 or whatever it is. I'd be more scarred of a slow race developing and Sopranist doing what he did to Native Ruler again. I'll take a chance on Richard Hannon's charge at 10/1 though. I had a ratign for My Old Pal that would give him a squeak at 2, but that was gained at 8F's on G/S, and he'd need to reverse with Plavacini from the Greenham card before coming into play. It might very well be however that Heliodor is going to need to force his own pace a bit to win though

I like Casual Conquest alot and will be disappointed if he cannot win this ahead of going on to much better things.

I think Casual Conquest should win, and being fresh will help as I think he really wants a mile and six. Can see Fat Boy going close in The Palace House on this ground and first time out.... and one more chance for Foolin Myself in the first...

Last edited:
Never got a run at the crucial times. Still doubts about the trip too. She would never have caught the winner, but might have got a place.

They looked Italian to me Gareth the way they retreated from Spanish Moon's arse !!!!, we need Dubai methods to back them in, ruined a race there.

chuffed to bits watching amour propre winning having small wager on, then sickened to see what happened to poor chief editor and PRobinson there are times when racing can be very cruel

Don't sound too good with P.Robinson - many presenters sounding subdued and Newmarket waiting to prepare a report on his healt

broken leg it seems although the way it happened looked far worse it looked to me as though something happened to the horse as it collapsed very quickly.

Back