Saturday's racing

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
I've just had a glance at tomorrow's cards at Newbury and Newmarket.

Utter sh*te. I can see me not having a bet other than a speculative rev f/c in the London Gold Cup.

I think its pretty decent fare, had Guineas, Chester and York within the last two weeks, seems a fair enough Saturday considering.

Looked at two races today, 255 Newmarket and 345 Newbury.

In the 255, a competitive race but the bottom one Highway Magic, have I gone insane or is he wildly overpriced? Looks bred for this trip, not the mile he raced over as a 2yo and by Rainbow Quest should progress from 2 to 3. He's only going off 67 and if he's any good should be able to go close off of this mark now upped to what look likes should be his trip. The other one at the prices was Admirable Duque but possible handicapper has at his grip now.

Doesn't look to be any real pace in the 345 and any pace should come from low stall numbers. Thought Spanish Bounty and Phantom Whisper looked overpriced and as usual Stoute's horse too short. A lot of the fancied horses are held up but will not be at an advantage coming from behind from a slow pace on this surface.

Has anyone else looked at these races? What do you think of them?

Be careful with the ground at Newbury, it may well be quite a bit softer than is reported in the RP. Before racing yesterday, the going was good, good to soft in places, and the girl writing the report claimed that she'd spoken to Osgood last night and he said they were going to stick to that going for start of play today. Well, she clearly wasn't aware that it rained all afternoon yesterday and the going was changed to good to soft all over after race 6 yesterday. There has been quite a bit of rain since then too so good, good to soft in places isn't very likely!

Well, the cards were sh*te and the form might not amount to much but I have to say some of the finishes were close!

Paco Boy appeared not to stay.

Back