Save our Stow

Andy

At the Start
Saturday looks like it will be Walthamstows last night,
We at Final Furlong would ask as maney of you, as can get there to show your surport, none of us have dogs there, we just wont to surport fellow owners, trainers, punters, and it is home of Douge Tyler now 90 and still making a book he is one of the best people in racing you can tell your grandchildren that you were there, on the last night.

Many Thanks Andy (HAYSTACKS)

Did you go were you there look in the RP. what a night even a track recod went, READING down and out as well sad days for dog Racing

Walthamstow

The "Save our Stow" campaign is a classic case of too little and too late. Those involved are sincere and well-meaning but there were some harsh economic and commercial truths about the long-term viability of the stadium and just as I've seen free admission triple the gate at Lingfield, everyone has started coming as soon as the closure was announced.

Where were they in the months and years before ? Where was the long-term investment in facilities ?

I've been to the Stow three times - it's ok but nothing more. Strip away the loveable East End charm and it's a pretty poor place.

I wonder if racing would rally in the same way if one of the courses was under threat of closure ? I suspect few would rush to save Kempton but would there be a rush to save Haydock, Bangor or Southwell ?

When Windsor and Nottingham scrapped NH racing, there were a few protests but not all that much.

Back