Seasonal Driving

Triptych

At the Start
I've just had the pleasure of dropping my other half at his Christmas do. After contending with 8 miles of dual carriageway with roadworks all the way and thick fog I then had to brave the centre of Carlisle. Today is known as 'Black Eye Friday' up here (is it elsewhere too?) so I had the job of avoiding numerous pissed people staggering across the road and some very suspect drivers. I have to go back and pick him up later. I am not looking forward to it.

I don't envy you at all. Drunks, roadworks, city centres on the Friday night before Christmas PLUS fog :what: Tell him to get a taxi home! :)

Originally posted by Triptych@Dec 21 2007, 10:15 PM
I've just had the pleasure of dropping my other half at his Christmas do. After contending with 8 miles of dual carriageway with roadworks all the way and thick fog I then had to brave the centre of Carlisle. Today is known as 'Black Eye Friday' up here (is it elsewhere too?) so I had the job of avoiding numerous pissed people staggering across the road and some very suspect drivers. I have to go back and pick him up later. I am not looking forward to it.
YEP known as just BLACK FRIDAY here, they have medics on the streets(to save the A&E hospitals being over run) and the police issue plastic pints to stop glassings, and bottled water too, and they call this HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!!!! its the grown ups answer to TRICK and TREAT they just smash everything up............. :P

And NEW YEARS NIGHT is far worse they go into the town for a feck or a fight or both but always the fight gets accomadated, the medics do the same on this night too....

Wheres the police to? are they on the p!ss as well????????????

Me speaking from expierence having worked these nights............ :xmasrudolf: :xmastree:

Driving back to Carlisle last night was a nightmare. It was a right pea-souper and I had a wagon hanging onto my tail lights all the way down the dual carriageway. When I moved over on to the slip road to come off the dual carriageway I could not see a thing. At all. I just kept going in what I thought was a straight line until I met the street light lit area at the top of the slip road. I hate fog. Fortunately when I got into the town most of the pissed people had gone home (or been arrested).

Slip sliding all the way back home from the Station. And just over 24 hours ago i was lying next to a swimming pool in a plush Bangkok hotel caked in cocunut oil sunbathing my arse off. Very freaked out.

Originally posted by Triptych@Dec 21 2007, 10:15 PM
I took a deal in the hotel where our Christmas do was held: £25 b&b.

Shame the place was shabby, the food awful, the music terrible and the company unpleasant. My first reaction the next day was to make a personal note: avoid next year's do.

Don't talk to me about seasonal driving.

The roads are full of chimps who God only knows managed to achieve a licence, driving like tossers.

For the love of God, even got stuck behind one on the M3 today having the stereotypical row with the missus! Screaming, balling and waving his arms he was - nevermind that, drive your fecking car you arsehole!!!

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Dec 23 2007, 05:45 PM
Don't talk to me about seasonal driving.

The roads are full of chimps who God only knows managed to achieve a licence, driving like tossers.

For the love of God, even got stuck behind one on the M3 today having the stereotypical row with the missus! Screaming, balling and waving his arms he was - nevermind that, drive your fecking car you arsehole!!!
I'm sorry to have to say this is not seasonal its a norm everyday of the fecking week, I am certain there are a lot who don't hold a current license...

There's a new theme now that's happening more and more often!Have you seen the new potential formula one driver? There must be hundreds in every town....

He goes in the wrong lane at the lights lets say the outside of two lanes, for right turning traffic, when the lights change he goes like stink to get in the near side lane from the now third lane he had entered after making the turn to join a major 3 lane road, in order to make a left hand turning at the next junction... fecking idiots I call them.............

Originally posted by Desert Orchid@Dec 23 2007, 11:40 AM
My first reaction the next day was to make a personal note: avoid next year's do.
Funnily enough I did exactly the same thing after my Christmas do too!

Well I've just finished the festive M1 canonball run and have to say the biggest problem was the 55 - 60mph merchant rather than any aspiring Lewis Hamilton's. It was their dawdling that was people to practically park on their back seats, and either lock up, or more often than not be forced into diving out into the middle lane, hence pushing everything over one lane. For the most part its annoying rather than dangerous, but when such an event coincides with a middle lane occupier already unnecessarily taking that position up, it got a bit more dangerous.

This is in mark contrast to 20 years ago mind you when I was paid what was then a decent packet to go an pick some American up from Gatwick and get them back to Nottingham. The trip was completed in 1 hour and 50 minutes, which included about 20 minutes getting from the west side of Nott'm to the east. My average motorway speed was about 120mph, and there was no shortage of cars flying past me. The poor passenger was moderatel;y terrified I was to learn later as she'd never been in a car remotely close to those speeds due to the heavy radar speed trappings and cameras in the States. they hadn't infested the UK in 1987. In those days I was a sales rep and quite regularly drove at 100mph every day without so much as incident, (not sure I could do it now though). I reckon if anything we might have slowed down a bit, despite our cars getting faster

Originally posted by Triptych+Dec 23 2007, 10:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Triptych @ Dec 23 2007, 10:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Desert Orchid@Dec 23 2007, 11:40 AM
My first reaction the next day was to make a personal note: avoid next year's do.
Funnily enough I did exactly the same thing after my Christmas do too! [/b][/quote]
Hey, Triptych, how about getting together next Christmas?

Not related to seasonal driving but thought i would put it up anyway

From Yahoo news

"Meanwhile in Shropshire a driver was rescued after spending the night trapped in her car when it was swept away by flood waters. The 45-year-old woman's car was carried downstream as she tried to cross the swollen River Severn.

The woman, who attempted to drive across a ford near Bridgnorth, Shropshire, could not call for help as she had no mobile phone signal, according to West Midlands Ambulance Service."

The silly wench should be billed for the time of the emergency services. Who would try to cross a swollen ford on the River Severn?

Back