Seb Sanders

Guest_

At the Start
I read tonight he is appealing his 2 week ban that he recieved yesterday for failing a alcohol test in Europe. Regardless of weither he knew the limit in that country or not (he should have) it is no excuse to appeal. He failed the test and gets the ban....every bloody day there seems to be a jockey appealling a decision. Take responsibility for what you have done and get on with it for God sake.

Sanders: "The Swedish levels are a lot lower than ours and, to be honest, I don't know how I have tested positive. "

Racing Post: "According to a spokeswoman for the Swedish Jockey Club which enforces an alcohol threshold of 10 micrograms per 100ml of breath - mirroring the country's strict drink-drive limit - the lower of two tests taken by Sanders was 23 micrograms. In Britain, where only one jockey has received a ban since the breathalyser was introduced in 2003,failed tests of 17-34 micrograms mean a rider is forced to miss the meeting, and also gets a caution."

I read tonight he is appealing his 2 week ban that he recieved yesterday for failing a alcohol test in Europe. Regardless of weither he knew the limit in that country or not (he should have) it is no excuse to appeal. He failed the test and gets the ban....every bloody day there seems to be a jockey appealling a decision. Take responsibility for what you have done and get on with it for God sake.
Thankyou, Galileo. As you may have read, I have said the same thing on FF, but not very many people agreed with me. I am sick of jockeys appealing everytime they get a ban. It seems to be that they think that if they appeal they can get away with it. I am sick of this attitude. I am also sick of jockeys threatening to quit (Burke and Christian Williams come to mind) when harsh punishments are thrust upon them. Have any of them actually quit? No, it's just to grab attention and headlines in the hope of a rally of people backing them and getting the ban reduced or knocked on the head completely and I'm sick of it.

Simon you say that but some of the stewards actions were uncalled for. Earlier in the year Matt Davies was given 16 days for not easing up early enough on an injured horse. Matt was riding it in a fast race and the horse was going okay when stumbling, Matt continue to drive for 100yds until he had no response then eased it down. The horse was subsequently deemed to have broken down. Despite stumbling the horse didn't initially look injured hence why Matt carried on riding but the moment he felt his ride was not right he eased it down. However the stewards were of the impression the horse injured itself when stumbling and Davies should have pulled up immediately and therefore issued him With a 16 day ban.

This was outrageous, had Matt eased up straight away and the horse was perfectly sound he probably would have been done for non triers.

He was in a no win situation, and whilst connections accepted that Matt was at no fault for the injury the stewards wanted to make a stance here.

The lad felt awful about it and also contemplated quiting as the stewards had made him out to be incompetent and ruthless. Matt is one of the hot properties coming through the ranks at present and it really got to him.

I do feel for Christian Williams as well, if you had ever met him you would realise he would be the last person on earth to stop a horse, if you think McCoy is determined you ain't seen nothing.

I don't disagree that Sanders should serve his ban here as he broke the rules and end of the day he was putting his own life and his other riders lives in danger by riding under the influence of alcohol. But in some other cases I do think that a jockey being called a cheat or basically calling them brutal is another matter entirely.

I see your point, Chris and the story about this Matt Davies (who I haven't actually heard of) is down right shameful.
It seems the system needs review from both parties. I have seen the Christian Williams' race and it looks dodgy to me. At no point was the horse even put into the race and turning into the straight he was sat behind the stragglers, yet he was still on the bridle. I don't think threatening to quit is the right attitude from this perspective in the hope that the ban will be reduced. Although there are certainly some bans which are harsh and need reviewing, I don't think all bans do and jockeys need to stop jumping in and appealing each and everytime they get a ban.

Back