Sergeant cecil to return to racing?

Aldaniti

At the Start
From the RP

who retired last year after a remarkable career, could make a surprise return to racing after joining the stable of William Knight.
The horse, trained by Rod Millman to complete the unprecedented handicap treble of the Cesarewitch, Ebor and Northumberland Plate in 2005, was retired last summer after finishing last in the Goodwood Cup.
However, after seven months off, owner Terry Cooper has sent the ten-year-old to Knight's yard, although there are no immediate plans to run him.
Knight said on Monday: "He is just doing light cantering now and we are taking each day as it comes. We'll take it very gradually, and if he seems to be happy and in good form, then we might consider giving him a run."

These owners need to let go! This happens all too frequently these days. Quito and Grey Abbey spring to mind. The horse was retired presumably because he was no longer able to compete at a satisfactory level on a racecourse or because it was risking injury or worse if it carried on. Neither of these statements will have changed. Pointless.

They'll be bringing Sir Percy back next.

terrible decision,one of my favourite horses deserves to have a long and happy retirement, wish i could afford to buy him.

If the horse does not want to "retire" why not keep a horse like this busy in the yard (lead horse etc) rather than bringing him back onto the course where he is likely to struggle badly. Retirement does not have to mean being stuck in a field.

Sergent Cecil return to racing

If he is going to be a hack / run the odd race or two thats fine but DON'T send him hurdling I remember that happening to an old fav of mine Hard To Figure that won the 1993 Ayr Gold Cup he ened up running over hurdles aged 10 luckily he survived to retire but I hate that sort of treatment to a great servent.

Who mentioned sending him hurdling?? Not connections, so far as I can see.

The initial article is pretty non-specific about him racing, and states categorically that he is only in light cantering, they'll take each day as it comes and they "might consider giving him a run". I can't see a lot wrong with that - he's 10, not 20, nor unsound or plagued with problems so far as I know.

I can't see a lot wrong with that -
Nor can I, to-be-honest.
The connections emphasised in their statement "We'll take it very gradually, and if he seems to be happy and in good form, then we might consider giving him a run." That seems fair enough to me.
Other older horses like The Tatling and Will He Wish etc over the age of ten seem content in their running and if they're happy in their work let 'em continue.

It sounds like he has only been in a field, since he's still in the same ownership, and possibly not enjoying it - or he's proving a right handful as a hack! Some horses just hate not being treated like racehorses, and hate giving up that routine. Hope they are doing the right thing... from what I remember the horse does mean a lot to the owner - named after his Dad iirc who died in WWI

As far as I am concerned the owner pays the bills he can do what he likes with the Sergeant Cecil - as long as he has the horses interest at heart.

I am sure the owner knows that there will be many eyebrows raised and the usual tutting from some quarters, but until someone else pays the bills, the decision is his and the trainers. Good luck to them if they decide to get Sergeant Cecil back on the track. Retirement at 10 years old is a bit early for many horses.

Wasn't that long ago before Quito was brought back another shocking decision, think we should throw the word retirement out of the dictionary because it clearly means nothing these days.

No-one has said that the owner cannot do what he likes. It would be his preogative to sell him for meat, it doesn't mean we have to agree it's the right choice of action because he is the one that pays the bills.

Back