Shergar Cup

Guest_

At the Start
Desperately disappointed that I am going to miss this wonderful and exciting team event this weekend...

Can never understand why there's so much negativity towards it myself.

If you don't like it, don't watch it.

I personally enjoy it as it highlights how poor our jockeys are and the betting markets are always skewed in favour of the UK ridden animals.

Saturdays are full of impossible handicaps, at least Ascot centres it around a bit of fun. I'm in favour of it.

Absolute garbage jockeys on horses unknown to them etc not a good way to try and pick winners bookies will be rubbing their hands.

I dont like it, but its not as if we dont have much choice of racing in this country is it? If it packs the stands and gets a few occasional fringe fans in then its all to the good of the sport

Desperately disappointed that I am going to miss this wonderful and exciting team event this weekend...

Would have to agree with this ...

For all it may be good to those who are not really interested in racing, it's light entertainment at best for those who follow racing all year round.

but if its sold out then surely that tells us that it doesn't matter what us purists think about race quality etc - bums on seats tells Ascot its what people want

but if its sold out then surely that tells us that it doesn't matter what us purists think about race quality etc - bums on seats tells Ascot its what people want

Of course it is - bunch of elitists :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with a bit of innovation - Any business or sport needs it to move forward.

But that is a part of the problem these days with racing; not interested in attracting new people who will go racing regularly or to less attractive fixtures, such as Kempton on a Wednesday night, and is aimed more at families with young kids who don't watch the racing either, or those out for a cheap concert ticket and a p*** up?

I would think the Shergar Cup is the perfect venue to introduce racing to people. The best jockeys from around the world in a format which isn't too difficult to understand, all handicaps and all standard field sizes.

I was going to take my 18 year old brother but as Premier is sold out (No chance you'll get me in Grandstand at Ascot, it's like Wetherspoons) I might go to Newmarket instead.

I took a young relative once - he had a great time. I took him racing at a different racecourse. We won money on the placepot - he had a great time. He knows how often I attend racecourses - he never asked to go again.

A realtive and her husband are going with their children; 15, 12, 5, 2 and 8 months. The eldest one will be on his phone all day, the next one will be wishing she was with her friends; the 5 year old will spend all day going where he shouldn't so look out for him in the unsaddling enclosure and the two little ones will be oblivious. Obviously this won't apply to all families, but seven attending, none of who wouldn't or don't go racing otherwise. Allowance obviously for the three little ones.

It happens once a year and the format appeals to some people who know nothing about racing. It is always well attended even if those purists amongst us think it's a pile of crap. We don't have to watch it if we don't want to and the competition format certainly would appeal more to those with little racing knowledge as it is a setup they can follow easily.

In fairness G-G, how exactly do you propose that people get attracted to the dross of Kempton on a Wednesday night?? They go through the gates in the summer, especially with the theme nights, but what on earth is there to attract anyone in from October to April? The place is deserted during those months and the racing of the worst possible standard.

Put some decent racing on. Make it free admittance.Or entry two for the price of one for residents within a X mile radius. Their marketing manager seems intend on trying to drum up business but it's all aimed at owners/ROA/hospitality, who don't pay to get in anyway. She wants to look 'lower'.

Ascot sold out as they have a concert on afterwards, nothing to do with who jockey against which jockey.

GG,

They should scrap the Kempton fixtures - I love racing and go regularly but I would never travel to Kempton on a wednesday. It's rubbish so why bother.

Racing is starting to realise that on it's own, given the level of competition from other sports, it is going to struggle to generate sustainable revenue not to mention the levy issues. If it recognises itself as being an integral part of a good day out then it becomes much more appealing particularly if the pricing is competitive. If 1 in 10 "concert goers" come back because they enjoyed the racing that would be a good result.

I agree with you, but I was asked what they could do to attract people. Far too much emphasis it put on those who can bear the expense rather than those who have to watch their budgets. Latest initiatives at Kempton; owners have a box for x amount for 20 people including entry, two meals for the price of one for ROA members in the restaurant - both of those are aimed at a very small percentage of the race going demography.
Overall there are far too many fixtures.

Just got back from Ascot, a really enjoyable afternoon and the first time I've enjoyed Ascot (this was the fourth time I've been ).

Had to buy Premier badges off a tout which was a little annoying and got ripped off there but can't face Grandstand at Ascot, the viewing is awful and it gets very overcrowded.

I think the format is fine although the colours need changing, couldn't tell the difference between Europe's blue and the RoW's black at times and the commentator (forgot his name, not a regular) really struggled at times and it was a little shoddy because of that. The whole "anthems" after each winner got a bit tedious too, only so much U2, Kasabian and Black Eyed Peas you can take! All the jockeys seemed really up for it and the paddock seemed to be having some amusing lost in translation moments at times!

Overall, the place was packed and I'm sure some new racegoers enjoyed it. My younger brother (who's only been to a couple of Northern tracks) seemed to enjoy the concept too and kept asking who was winning. I like the format and think it should be repeated every year and supported, it just needs a couple of tweaks to get rid a few of the needless gimmicks.

Thought Soumillon really made the difference for Prohibit, he's a right monkey and the Belgian seemed to get a tune out of him to finally get his head infront after a long time in the places.

Back