Sigmund Freud

• Thread starter Thread starter Bruce_Savage
  • Start date Start date
B

Bruce_Savage

Hey,

Do you believe there is a psychoanalytical approach that punters can take into their form reading? I believe Sigmund Freud was the pioneer of all things involving Psychoanalysis.

How can we revert his ideas and thinking into profits?

I'm up for a good debate here, have a nice cup of coffee too - maybe we can find some answers for tomorrows cards?

I was going to preview donny tomorrow but in all honesty the card is just to difficult,mainly because there are a few i liked that like decent going and vice versa just to many i liked with soft ground form in the same races.Donny just doesn't have a draw advantage anymore on the soft so can't even use that to make some picks.I may still put a write up on here,but wouldn't take it to seriously as the races favour so many horses.

Hi Giggy!

Sigmund Freud was famous for Psychoanalysis in particular his work with Anna'O alongside his colleague Breur who sent her to him to be relieved of her Hysteria. The general idea he thought of was to put her into a state of hypnosis and ask her to go back to a memory of fear and to try understand the meaning behind the incident, once the patient done that they were free of hysteria.

He later went on to find more difficult patients who were reluctant to open up in Free Association, this is where you sit there and say what was on your mind, the reluctance to open up the unconcious fears of the mind was called repression but Freud cleverly worked himself around this.

He told his patients under hynposis to think of a blank picture and to not be frightened in saying what would come up, there ideas will be trusted and not rejected - 9 out of 10 patients wouldn't have the directly shown any indication of their fear through the picture but it was a link of association, that Freud could single handedly work back through a collection of data to discover the unconcious fears.

Now, can in any way shape or form could the breakthough of psychoanalysis of Freud be used into Racing - I think it can!

From that short paragraph I've wrote there are a few key terms that popped up which could be good starting points - remember! we are Freudists, we have nothing to work on, our patient is the trainer and we have to discover their unconcious fears or fantasies and the formbook is our linked chain of association!

Still with me?

I know a few trainers and quite a few jocks and certainly know some of there fantasies:lol:i certainly wouldn't waste my time psycho analysing them.Very little you would learn:whistle:.

Lets take the November Handicap,

We only know the situation - Class, Trip, Ground etc

What we're looking for is a trainer that doesn't fear the participation of his racehorse or sense the feeling of losing his asset through wayward tendancies - does the picture make sense or not?

How do we put together the picture? I'd suggest starting from the most current race, what does it tell us? imagine the trainer is sitting in front of you had that race is the thought he had in his mind whilst under your hypnosis.

Now lets go back further into the unconcious state of mind i.e the next race on, what kind of picture are we building? is there any fears or positive thinking going on?

For example lets take Enroller for William Muir,

Struggling from the rear in a 0-85 Handicap.
Struggling from the rear in a Listed race.
A large absense
Unable to quicken from midfield, tailed off
Positive front running ride in a G1
An attempt at 2M on fast ground in Group 2
A brave effort over 12f in Group 2
One paced over 12F on Fast ground in Group 2

We've gone deep into the realms of 2009 into the mind of William Muir and the thinking of his horse, can we put together a picture of todays situation and assess any fears or enlightenment for todays engagement and what does this journey mean, what are the hidden agendas?

Hey,

Do you believe there is a psychoanalytical approach that punters can take into their form reading? I believe Sigmund Freud was the pioneer of all things involving Psychoanalysis.

I believe he is the ecstalogical manifestaion of the ground of our being. The krygma of which we find the ultimate meaning in our interpersonal relationships. ;)

Hi Giggy!

Sigmund Freud was famous for Psychoanalysis in particular his work with Anna'O alongside his colleague Breur who sent her to him to be relieved of her Hysteria. The general idea he thought of was to put her into a state of hypnosis and ask her to go back to a memory of fear and to try understand the meaning behind the incident, once the patient done that they were free of hysteria.

He later went on to find more difficult patients who were reluctant to open up in Free Association, this is where you sit there and say what was on your mind, the reluctance to open up the unconcious fears of the mind was called repression but Freud cleverly worked himself around this.

He told his patients under hynposis to think of a blank picture and to not be frightened in saying what would come up, there ideas will be trusted and not rejected - 9 out of 10 patients wouldn't have the directly shown any indication of their fear through the picture but it was a link of association, that Freud could single handedly work back through a collection of data to discover the unconcious fears.

Now, can in any way shape or form could the breakthough of psychoanalysis of Freud be used into Racing - I think it can!

From that short paragraph I've wrote there are a few key terms that popped up which could be good starting points - remember! we are Freudists, we have nothing to work on, our patient is the trainer and we have to discover their unconcious fears or fantasies and the formbook is our linked chain of association!

Still with me?

Most trainers are creatures of habit and target certain races and courses through the season that they feel comfortable with.

I think the unconscious fears of most trainers are that their owners will leave them, that the yard will get an outbreak of ringworm, or that the horsebox breaks down on the way to a premier meeting.

Or, far worse, that the canteen will have run out of bacon by the time they reach the track.

Hi Giggy!

Still with me?

Are you Swirly Chaser?

I've often wondered if Galileo as a foal peeped through the barn door to watch Urban Sea in the horse bath and did Sadler's Wells really die of natural causes?

Should one of the greatest sires we have known been called Oedipus?

:lol: Brilliant!

Ah, memories of Swirly, aka Dayna Jane Stirling II. Marvellous madness. Where he now?

Last edited:
:lol: Oh, God, yes - remember the savage brawls which burst out over that statement? If fists could've reached through screens...

Chef: it's not well known, but before Sigmund died, his picture was painted by a family friend, Francis Bacon. The result was called Freud Bacon...

Last edited:
:lol: Oh, God, yes - remember the savage brawls which burst out over that statement? If fists could've reached through screens...

Chef: it's not well known, but before Sigmund died, his picture was painted by a family friend, Francis Bacon. The result was called Freud Bacon...

:lol:

Freud Bacon with Bernays Eggs for the true All American Breakfast - relatively speaking.

Can we put trainers into Atomism v Holism – The Atomist believes that things can be broken down into parts and analyzed whilst the Holist will believe that things can be seen in the bigger picture.

Take the London Underground for example; an Atomist will go around looking at the trains, the tracks, the tunnels, the esclators to come and form a conclusion about how the London Underground works whilst the Holist will simply go and look at the Underground map to work out how the Underground works.

Can we try and put this into trainers thinking?

What would classify a trainer being Atomistic? an analytical approach, concious about the ground, weights, draw, weather etc whilst a Holistic trainer will be one who says what will be will be, if we win great, if we lose we'll come back again with another plan?

A good starting points would be to find out what races are won by an Atomistic or Holistic trainer?

Maybe lets name some of them,

I think Sir Mark Prescott is very much Atomistic whilst on the other end of the scale you could put Paul Nicholls as Holistic.

Back