SKY

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
Calling those of you who have Sky...

I've just had a cold call from Sky (we're with them for phone/broadband) about Sky TV.

Unless I've misheard him, it sounds like the chappie is offering us Sky TV with Sky Sports for £8.53 per month, to include the Sky Box, the dish and installation. I told him I didn't want an unsightly big dish outside my house or cables pinned to the skirting inside but he said the engineer would install it whatever way I wanted.

I'm not really fussed one way or the other about Sky but I'm wondering if I'm being offered a good deal. He was saying I was getting a 75+% discount?

What do you reckon?

As far as I can see, the basic Sky bundle plus Sky Sports costs about £43.50 per month so I'd assume that's where the discount quote comes from. Basically, that will just be the headline price so you need to see how long it will last and for how long you are committed at the full price.

We had to get rid of it last month, Was costing upwards of £85 per month.
I still feel like iv'e lost a limb
No cricket, no ATR , no football :(

Last edited:
Yes, I said I wasn't that interested as I'm not heavily into TV.

He told me it would be £10-odd a month, a 75% discount.

I said that was over £120 a year, which isn't the kind of money I'd want to lay out on extra TV. As I was speaking he said something like, 'I've noticed I can give you a further £2.50 per month off that...'

I said how long is that for?

He said, 'For as long as you're with us.'

I suppose that might all change if somebody buys out Sky, which makes me wonder if there is a takeover in the offing?

I'm still not that interested, though.

Just as well your wife didn't leave too, with all your Bob Marley collection. Then it would have been a case of...

No woman no Sky...

:o

You would still get the standard deal through the website:

• Sports Package - 6 months half price (£21 per month, £42 thereafter)
  • £25 M&S voucher
  • £140 cashback (not sure how they arrive at that figure, but I think it's a combination of different parts of the package)
  • £25 set up cost

So that works out for a minimum 12 month period (I think - after which you ring them up and tell them you are leaving at which point they offer you another deal):

(6 x 21 + 6 x 42) + 25 = £403 - (140) - (25) = £238 or £19.83 a month.

I would check to see how long the Sky Deal they are offering ties you into the contract - I'd be very surprised if it wasn't a longer term deal. There's been very few occasions where the Sky offer beats what's available on Quidco for new customers.

Topcashback pays £147 cashback for the same thing and then you aren't lining the pockets of Paul who owns hotukdeals, and you don't really want to be sharing your personal details with them ;)

I would rather give up buying food than lose Sky.

I haven't watched BBC for years

Back