So You Think Champion Stakes

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
G

Gearoid

There are only two interesting things about tomorrows race. Where will So You Think be heading afterwards and what will finish 2nd. I'm very keen on the 10/3 Famous Name W/O. Neither Recital or Roderic O'Connor are genuine Group 1 performers especially over 10f and I'm willing to take the filly on given she has not sparkled this season. Dunboyne will do well to finish 2nd last.

Famous Name out to 5/1. Seems to be serious confidence in Snow Fairy in the main market. If she runs anything close to her form she finishes second otherwise famous Name does. The e/w part of bet effectively means FN has to beat Reciatal, ROC and Dunboyne. Looks a very fair price.

What would put me off that bet is the two other O'Brien horses and their riding tactics. If they are ridden to come second it gives them a much better chance of doing so.

Last edited:
Snow Fairy I expect to be progressing at this time of year . Dunlop must have been upbeat to get Dettori over after the Sprint Cup.

Didn't think we would see Recital again this year - hard to see him figure. Roderic is out of sorts - Famous Name owns Leopardstown.

Form of the race looks perfect to me. Snow Fairy confirmed market support that she was back to form. Famous Name ran his race and confirmed the form with Dunboyne Express. Recital and Roderic O'Connor confirmed they are useless like all of Aiden O'Briens 3yo colts this season.

Last edited:
I thought that So You Think looked a shade heavy before the race, if so there should be more to come from him.

Will they go for the Champion Stakes or the Arc with him though?

Euro, do you not think he is good enough for the Arc, or do you think that he won't stay? I'd like to see him go to Ascot myself, but I think that they'll find it hard to pass having a crack at the Arc.

I think he'll stay alright, but he looks one paced to me. I think one of the Frenchies, either Sarafina or one of their 3yo's colts, will have too much toe for him.

Didn't think we would see Recital again this year - hard to see him figure. Roderic is out of sorts - Famous Name owns Leopardstown.

I think Recital never looked comfortable and had lost his action in the closing stages. ROC has no excuses at this stage, he's been completely exposed and not lived up to his hype.

ROC was used as a pacemaker .

Snow Fairy really is progressing again - a lucrative campaign in the Far East surely awaits .

SYT is a very good horse but the second coming he ain't ! I was amused to see Coolmore suggesting he might run in the QEII a thrashing by Frankel would not look good on his hype CV

Last edited:
All week my intention was to have a decent each way bet on Snow Fairy but I was spooked by a lot of negative opinion.
Not sure if she is on the way back or slightly flattered by the result.

I don't think she was flattered at all. She ran well in defeat at Goodwood and I would have punted her if she'd run at York.

The only question before the race was what Snow Fairy would show up. To me she ran a fine race not too far away from her best. The form of the race makes good reading. Have Timeform come up with a figure for the front two? The race is easily rated through Famous Name.

Just my view, but I don't think SYT will go anywhere near the Arc. He's a 10f horse through and through, and Coolmore aren't daft enough to believe that a tiring 3rd in a stop/start 2m race around a track the size of a dustbin lid qualifies him to win Europe's top 12f contest.
Re Snow Fairy; Frankie made no secret that he expected her to improve again for her Nassau run, and (IIRC) they've trained her specifically with the lucrative oversea's late-season races in mind.

I don't think she was flattered at all. She ran well in defeat at Goodwood and I would have punted her if she'd run at York.

She was never going to win at Goodwood -she ran respectably against a top class mare but didn't get seriously completive.I'm not in the SYT fan club but I wonder were they conscious that his next race defines his season and did they leave a little bit to work on.
Snow Fairy had a long and hard campaign in 2010 and it's odds against she wins a race this season -it's September and she will only race at the highest level.

Snow fairy ran well but she was never going to get past SYT, he spent a furlong eye balling her before knuckiling down and just doing enough. I find him unexciting but a worth winner none the less.

Not one of Coolmores better buys imo, can't see him making a good stallion and wouldn't imagine breeders at the top level would be into him much.

Back