Speak Your Mind Jim...

Guest_

At the Start
LEADING European trainer Jim Bolger has taken an extraordinary swipe at Australian racing and slammed the media in Victoria for its treatment of fellow Irish handler Aidan O'Brien after the Melbourne Cup.
Bolger, who was a mentor to O'Brien early in his career, insisted "Australians have a lot of growing up to do" and scoffed at the fact that the country's most popular race was a handicap.
Speaking to the The Sunday Age at Sha Tin racecourse as he prepared to saddle his champion filly Lush Lashes in today's Hong Kong Cup, the 66-year-old said: "The way Aidan was treated Down Under was disgusting, there are a lot of people who should feel ashamed."
His comments follow a controversial running of the Melbourne Cup when O'Brien's three runners trailed in at the back of the field after setting a fierce pace.
Stewards at Flemington summoned O'Brien 90 minutes after the final race on Cup Day to quiz him over the riding instructions he had given his jockeys. However, Bolger, who has trained a host of big-race winners, including this year's English Derby victor New Approach, insisted the officials had it wrong, saying: "I suppose that's what happens when you get professional stewards. People have to justify themselves and their position."
Asked if he would ever have a runner in Australia, he replied: "Maybe if you had a proper race over a mile and a half in which the colts carried nine stone and the fillies eights stone eleven (pounds) then I might come out. But you think the Cup is one of the best races in the world even though it is a handicap. A handicap? Imagine.
"That's not what proper international racing should be about."

Bolger talking out of his ass. I thought the Aussie approach was very refreshing and it would be great if British racing takes the same approach. Im sure there would be a lot less non triers over here if thats the case.

The punters has every right to know why they raced the way they did, if I had backed one of O'Brien's that day, I would have been seething since it was balant that they went off too quick. Racing needs a more open minded approach and less 'old school' approach where things are treated as the way it is instead of questioning why it is so.... The stewards has every right to know why they race the way they did. In Hong Kong, if the connections of the horse intends to change the tactics in a race, they will have to tell the stewards/press before hand.

Asked if he would ever have a runner in Australia, he replied: "Maybe if you had a proper race over a mile and a half in which the colts carried nine stone and the fillies eights stone eleven (pounds) then I might come out. But you think the Cup is one of the best races in the world even though it is a handicap. A handicap? Imagine.

Can`t disagree with that. On a list of International races worth caring about the Melbourne Cup is way down the list.

Fingers crossed Jim ends up having a runner in the race in the next few years....Jim Bolger vs Aussie Media.....now that is something I would love to see!!!

I wish we had professional stewards over here, may get some consistency and more transparency. You wouldn't see them standing for what goes on here in Australia.

Good trainer he may be but he's still an absolute c*nt.

Agree with the Melbourne Cup though, way down the list of races I am bothered about.

Last edited:

Can't really take issue with his comments about the O'Brien affair, as I got the impression the whole thing was a bit of a farce, but this comment is a joke. Absolute gobshite he is, as he proves time and again.

I thought the aussie stewards got it right. Whats Bolgers problem? and why bring it up now? There is often a seeming xenophobic edge to some of his statements

Scruffy.jpg

Back