Speed vs Stamina -- and soundness?

mrussell

At the Start
Just perusing an article over at the chef-de-race site.
The author makes the point -- illustrated -- that the breeding of thoroughbreds has tacked strongly away from staying power to speed; the implication being that the speedier types are more fragile & breeders of such lines are in debt to modern veterinary science to keep them raceable.

Percentage of aptitudinal designations assigned to all chefs:
Speed...57.28% Stamina....42.72%

Percentage of aptitudinal designations assigned to chefs foaled prior to 1954:
Speed...54.48% Stamina....45.52%

Percentage of aptitudinal designations assigned to chefs foaled after 1953:
Speed...61.01% Stamina....38.99%

The article can be found here: http://www.chef-de-race.com/articles/mckeon.htm

I haven't a clue about dosage, but McKeown's brief article is aimed at a mainly US bias, and a bias based largely on what were old dirt tracks. The animals were developed to a conformational type to suit sprinting, in the same way that humans are developed to suit sprinting (and don't think genetics don't play a role!) - horses with gluteal mass and strong gaskins (thighs), but overall a smaller, denser animal. Think of human sprinters' big powerful bums, versus the human distance runner - entirely different frameworks and body build, for entirely different purposes.

The rangy animal he longs for probably started passing into history around the 1930s, built along the Barb horse heritage of Thoroughbreds, rather than the Arabian. If you look at Arabian racehorses, just expand them by an eighth and you have today's typical sprint type. The Barb was, and is, a North African strain which was interbred with the Arabian to kick off the Thoroughbred breed. They are taller, more angularly built, with a sharper - you might say pointier - outline, and a predisposition for endurance. The Arabian, more rounded and compact but equally very hardy and strong, but more able at speed.

It's the Barb strain's heritage which has been disappearing from Mr McKeown's longed-for 'good old days', since while it possessed great durability (living on into active life for a good three decades), it didn't possess the spike speed of the Arabian. Thus the Arabian type prevails today in sprinters' shapes.

However, the Barb strain does still live on, expanded and developed, in true jumps racehorses - DENMAN possesses the plain straight head, the angular outline and the slabbier look of the Barb. Barbs could grow to up to around 15.3, 16 hh, so improving feeding, hygiene and care over centuries has seen that height increase by up to a hand (four inches), the body shape nonetheless changing little. The ability to gallop relentlessly, but more slowly than the Arabian, is there, and that's the main difference - the rangy, angular type is your better NH horse because of his Barb heritage; the rounder, more compact type is your better Flat sprint horse because of his Arabian pedigree.

The 'need for speed', or perhaps the 'greed for speed' has grown out of the ability of the Arabian type to be ready earlier and to outspeed the rangier, Barb type. Thus, breeders developed a type, a shape, that took to winning more races. Any races. Over time, the USA in particular cast off the slower Barb type in favour of the Arabian type, which, also because of its overall lighter weight, favoured the hard impact of the American dirt tracks.

These tracks were very unforgiving on developing bones - and still are. To keep their horses going, trainers used proprietary anti-inflammation brands and that's why you see American horses being allowed to run on 'Bute' (it's got a helluva long butylthingywotsit name I can't think of!), which masks joint pain caused by impact stress.

Lasix (there's another endless latin moniker for this, too!) is an anti-bleed agent which is also approved for use in the States, and is used in training here, but has to be withdrawn by (I think - jinnyj?) 10 days before a race. American horses run almost traditionally on the stuff, given that all horses bleed a small amount under race stress, but not all show. The Americans prefer to keep bleeding minimal and use the drug routinely. Thus, you may well have US horses running on both drugs.

I stand to be shot down in flames on any of this, but it's my take on the US scene and the overall TB evolution to date.

Last edited:
Bute and lasix are used together as a side affect of bute is that it lessens the bloods ability to clot so Lasix is used to expel fluid from the body and lower the pressure on the vessels.

When I'm not being a grumpy old cow, I try to be helpful, mrussell!

I'm always interested in why animals are the way they are - why and how dog breeders have managed to change the shape of the canine into some seriously bizarre and sometimes impractical 'designs', and why that's considered desirable by their respective Kennel Clubs, for example. Then there are chicken breeds - some of which are again very strange, with low egg-laying and little meat on them, thus mainly for show... :blink: And let's not start on cats... I mean, what is the purpose of a Rex? :D

And let's not start on cats...

Look what breeders have done to the beautiful Siamese - turned it into a cartoon cat with an exaggeratedly pointed, bony face and a skinny, angular body. Thank Heaven there are still some breeders of what is known as the Traditional or "Applehead" Siamese.

I see exactly what Krizon means in her description of horses' physiques and now I know why they are like that.

Very interesting and informative, Kri.

PS - my consultant says that Lasix can also be used to wash traces of steroids out of the body, too ...

Red, would you believe that when I went out to Saudi in (gulp!) 1972, you could buy the human version of Lasix (by that brand name, too) over the counter, along with all kinds of other drugs which require prescriptions and your signature in blood here? Some of the chubsy ladies used to buy it and use it regularly to reduce water retention, and could dump literally pounds in a few days. It was a smart kick-start to a diet, with users feeling good that something like 7lbs to 10lbs could be shed in around 4 days. Mind you, the endurance-level weeing could be a bit inconvenient!

Last edited:
Back