Sprint Cup

Euronymous

Senior Jockey
I don't normally get involved in Group sprints, but I backed High Standing in the Wokingham and feel he is well up to beating the best in the division as they just seem to take turns beating each other. I like the fresh angle the Haggas animal brings to the race. Took 6s earlier in the week and will top up nearer the contest.

Is this race going to be run on their new 6f track? If it is, worth bearing in mind that the last 2 meetings it has been in use, it has ridden significantly faster than the rest of the track because of an improved drainage system there.

Yep that's the plan David - 6f on the inner turf sprint course. Looked a cracking surface when I was there at the start of the month for an evening meeting. Fillies have an awesome record in this - my original fancy Serious Attitude has been ruled out which leaves Heart Shaped and Fleeting Spirit. Tend to feel that HS isn't anywhere near good enough for this and Fleeting is priced appropriately.

Corryborough has been the subject of support of late and will appreciate any fast ground - will keep updated with the weather as back at my parents this week.

Anyone going to the Sprint Cup by any chance?

If Fleeting Spirit goes there fit and well, her July Cup and King Stand efforts suggests she's well ahead of the other sprinters in Europe. Something she also suggested but couldn't confirm in the Temple on very fast ground at Haydock last spring. I think she's a big price currently if you knew she'd run, and would be happy to take half of that should she get there on the day.

If Fleeting Spirit goes there fit and well, her July Cup and King Stand efforts suggests she's well ahead of the other sprinters in Europe. Something she also suggested but couldn't confirm in the Temple on very fast ground at Haydock last spring. I think she's a big price currently if you knew she'd run, and would be happy to take half of that should she get there on the day.

Agree with every word of this. She won the July Cup very well when you consider all the running around she did (unusual for her) and I think she's head and shoulders above the rest here.

I've just read Noseda saying she'll run if the ground is good or faster - if the Sprint Cup is run on the new 6f track with improved drainage, I think the 7/2 could be one of the bets of the season.

I like Finjaan, but worry will 6F be a little too sharp for him, though he could chase the filly home.

He has a shot Gal but he's yet to convince me that he's trained on (not had much of a chance to show it mind). There are worse bets at the prices - best to wait to see the ground conditions though.

It's been raining here all afternoon but as IS says the course drains really really well these days (the new 6f one that is).

Finjaan is a horse I have liked for a long time and it's him and fleeting spirit against the field.

I can't have High Standing at all..

Main Aim i'm increasingly liking the looks of through a combination of a course win, and a Gp1 time with a bit of cut in the ground at Newbury earlier in the year. With Fleeting Spirit due to come out if the grounds no good (well Noseda says they won't run if its soft) and I can't believe it's going to be any other than at the best, then the 6/1 available tonight looks ok to me. Even if they declare G/S it will still do for the filly anyway, and i don't expect Noseda to be fooled by Kirkland Tellwright either. Finjaan I like but wonder about his ability on the ground a bit.

Alright you've just got to be prepared to say that Main Aim had one of those days at Goodwood (they happen) but his run in the July Cup to Fleeting Spirit entitles him to be there or there abouts. I can't make my mind up about High Standing. At the risk of setting EC1 off about the Wokingham again, he raced on the favoured side and could have been flattered. Having said that, he has won again since and I'm not sure what the evidence is like, now that a few form lines between the stands and far side runners at Ascot should be available to re-appraise the race and see whether the far-side runners were flattered beyond their ability

Loving the interest in this race. I suppose Sea the Stars performance really illustrated how utterly arse the sprinting division is. I backed High Standing bacause i've been on him the last two times - but really, in Group 1 sprints your'e as well getting the pin out and doing some sticking.

Completely agree Euro, such a shame Overdose hasn't been able to make a racecourse this year. Would have added some much needed spice to it all.

Fleeting Spirit is by far our most talented sprinter though in my opinion.

The Abbaye is hers for the taking but I wouldn't be backing her as I know some animal like Dandy Man will probably unfathombly bounce back.

Back