SPs

Garney

Conditional
I'm sure several posters that work in the industry would have a better idea than me on this but lately I've noticed vast differences between a late show and a final SP.

Obviously late runs on prices are hardly new, and I'm sure its exacerbated by the fluctuations of the machine, but I was checking the prices for a race at Kempton last night - didnt have a bet just checking online and Dialect was 4/1 with two horses yet to load. It won and the returned SP was 11/4jf. It surprised me.

About ten minutes ago I heard one of hte lads on Willhill radio complain of something similar regarding Sun King's 5/2 SP for the first at Market Rasen.

Is there any ground for thinking that the john McCririck nightmare beginning to take shape?

Any idea what the Betfair SP was on that. As you say, when they were well into loading he was 4/1 and 5.2 - 5.3 ish on Betfair. Didn't see what happened on Betfair in the last 30 seconds or so.

I'm sure several posters that work in the industry would have a better idea than me on this but lately I've noticed vast differences between a late show and a final SP.

Obviously late runs on prices are hardly new, and I'm sure its exacerbated by the fluctuations of the machine, but I was checking the prices for a race at Kempton last night - didnt have a bet just checking online and Dialect was 4/1 with two horses yet to load. It won and the returned SP was 11/4jf. It surprised me.

About ten minutes ago I heard one of hte lads on Willhill radio complain of something similar regarding Sun King's 5/2 SP for the first at Market Rasen.

Is there any ground for thinking that the john McCririck nightmare beginning to take shape?

I was there and saw that, but there was in fact a late surge of support in a frighteningly weak market. I doubt more than a couple of grand was traded on the entire race in the ring, and possibly much less than that.

Any idea what the Betfair SP was on that. As you say, when they were well into loading he was 4/1 and 5.2 - 5.3 ish on Betfair. Didn't see what happened on Betfair in the last 30 seconds or so.

5.1 Betfair SP. The SP of the runner up was 11/2, but only 9/2 on Betfair, so this was just an anomaly.

Dialect was backed at the last minute (by Ladbrokes, I believe) but as Rory says not a lot will have been traded in the ring. The changes happened fairly quickly but the show prices didn't go from 4/1 to 11/4 with just the two to load, it happened slightly earlier than that, with the final change from 3/1 to 11/4 occurring on the off.

These Kempton markets are ridiculously weak which is precisely why such rapid price changes occur and it often seems as though a gamble is happening - it's not. It doesn't take much support at all to make a price tumble drastically at these Kempton evenings in particular.

Back