Stamina? No Thanks, Says Newmarket

Venusian

At the Start
Looking forward to the two days of the Craven meeting, I notice that there is no race longer than 10f.

That is quite deplorable.

They should reintroduce the old rule (dumped about 30? years ago) concerning flat cards, which (roughly) stated that each card should include "two races, differing by at least a furlong, at least one of which must not be a handicap, whose combined distance amounts to not less than 2 1/2 miles".

I love the flat staying races but I fear I am one of few. The ability to sprint after running so hard always amazes me. Loved Mr Dino's turn of foot.

I was thinking about this last week.

If money were no object, I'd sponsor a string of valuable 2½m-3m Flat races. I reckon you could entice some decent jumpers for the right prize.

Look at the quality of staying horse taht goes straight to stand as a national Hunt Sire, Mr Dinos, Westerner, Scorpion .Desert King was shipped off around the World before he ended up back in Scarvagh moistly covering National Hunt mares I'd imagine, when you think of the hype that goes with the Melbourne cup and what Makyebe Diva did. It's a funny old game :P

I'm with you - stayers have always been my favourite horses. Something about their grit and courage. Favourite race Ascot Gold Cup.

That is why I took the name Isinglass and the hubby is called Brown Jack. Isinglass won over all distances. And, horses just do not do that anymore. Shame.

Kayf Tara is another who had a deadly turn of foot at the end of his races too.

I honestly think the public love the staying races. Because I follow them I am usually present when one of the well known horses wins it and the crowd always gives them a far longer and louder reception than for the other races that day.

Just think Persian Punch. :luv:

And you are right about Makbe Diva. A huge crowd puller.

I love to see the jumpers go on the flat. Hughie Morrison is a trainer who also loves that and has decent success with his Secret Ploy. Watch out this summer for Yonder his mare.

The Irish seem more willing to do this than over here, and they win a lot too!

When I was first getting into racing as a hobby I remember Sagaro as a great favourite - won 3 Ascot Gold Gups, trained by and ridden by masters!

I guess the Americanisatino of the breed is the problem - the St Leger has managed to survive intact but how long before the modernists have another go at turning it into a nothing event?

Oh ffs!! what are they trying to do to the breed? - though I suppose there is an argument that at this point of the season no-one wants to extend their horses too far. On the other hand, a lot of horses run on the a/w now for preps so they are already fit by the start of the season.

When I was a 13 year old kid, watching Double Trigger battle to his 3rd Goodwood Cup captured my attention. It wained for a couple of years on and off, but was cemented by Persian Punch's 2001 Gold Cup run.
The stayers just seem to have something special about them, and much as sprinters, milers and middle distance horses are excellent in their individual spheres, stayers have that extra element.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there is just ONE Group 1 over 2 miles plus for the whole of the UK (excluding EIRE). What chance do they have?
Seems such a shame that these horses don't get the chance to carve their name in the top bracket more often.
Obviously, a big factor of it is the stud value. How lucrative is a horse like Double Trigger compared to a Classic winner like High Chapparral, even with Trigger's St Leger 3rd, Doncaster, Goodwood, Ascot Cups, Longchamp??

Back