Stamina/Speed Gene Isolated

Harbinger

At the Start
What to make of this?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/jan/21/jim-bolger-gene-discovery-optimum-distance

Jim Bolger says gene discovery is the 'most significant in history of thoroughbred'

• Company claims runner's optimum trip can be predicted
• Results take guesswork out of targeting races

Jim Bolger, left, with his Derby winner New Approach, has hailed the genetic breakthrough his new company is involved in as a revolutionary one for the breeding industry. Photo: Jeremy Durkin/PA

A racehorse's optimum distance can now be predicted before he has set foot on the track, according to an Irish scientist who claims to have isolated the gene that influences equine speed. The development has been greeted with enthusiasm by Derby-winning trainer Jim Bolger, who has described it as "the most significant discovery in the history of the thoroughbred".

According to Dr Emmeline Hill, a lecturer in equine science at University College Dublin, every racehorse falls into one of three genetic categories, which she has classified by letters. 'C:C' types will be sprinters, 'C:T' types will be best over middle-distances, while 'T:T' types will be suited by a test of stamina.

Bolger stands to gain a great deal if, as expected, owners and breeders are prepared to pay ¤1,000 per test to find out the genetic predisposition of their horses. A company called Equinome, part-owned by Bolger and Hill, which launches next week has been set up to market the test to the racing industry.

"I've been using it for the last five or six years without knowing the full value of it," said Bolger, who has made his horses available for Hill's researches since 2004. "It's only over the last 12 months or so that the whole situation has clarified itself. This will be the first full year that I'll be using it.

"We take a blood sample and send it to Dr Hill and then she tells us what genome it is. We know then what distance is likely to suit the horse."

The test also indicates how quickly a horse will be ready to race, since C:C types are generally precocious, while T:T types take time to mature. On average, T:T horses earn up to 20 times less as two-year-olds than C:T horses of similar pedigree, Hill claims.

"I probably won't be cock of the walk with some of the trainers now," said Bolger, who expects that owners of T:T horses will save on fees by sending them to be trained at a later stage in their two-year-old year. "But in the long term, this will help trainers."

Hill, whose grandmother owned the Champion Hurdle and Gold Cup *winner Dawn Run, claims to have met with "remarkable enthusiasm" from prominent trainers in Ireland. "When I told them the test result for their horse, some of them said things like: 'Oh, that explains it,'" she said. Hill has hopes that her services will be much in demand as racing professionals try to take the guesswork out of the sport.

Her discovery also has implications for breeders, who will be able to predict the outcome of matching horses whose genetic characteristic is known. Bolger has enjoyed great success as a breeder in recent years but believes Hill's test will make a big difference.

"If I knew then what I know now, I could have saved myself a lot of money," he said. "Even though I got some extraordinary results from the matings I chose, I got some bad ones as well."

Just three 'types' to cover distances of 5f to 2½ miles?

Sounds like Steve M's been ahead of the game for decades.

Oh, boy, yet another piece of info racegoers will demand to be included in race cards! And the RP and TimeForm will have to include it, too. Not that having the gene will mean the horse will win - it'll just take the guesswork out of wondering if yours is an early or late type, or what its genes determine will be its best potential. It won't matter which type your horse is if it's got the wrong conformation and action, though, and it won't tell you what going it will prefer. So, yes, it could be a tool for breeders and trainers, but it won't give punters an edge unless they're informed it's an early/late type, etc. Which is why the info has to be made public, like the horse's gender, colour, and pedigree.

Interesting thought, though: if you have to eventually declare what type your nag is, be it speed, middle distance or long-distance - bang goes the old 'not suited by the trip' excuse, and the magnificent 'wrong distance' coups of a certain titled gent!

Last edited:
Wonder what the breeders will be thinking?
Is it worth buying a TT as a yearling when it won't be raced until it's 3 years old?
Will trainers suffer by not having the 2yo TTs?
Less rides for the jocks, smaller fields ...
Hmmm

Perhaps they will look something like this:

This horse will mature quickly and be at peak performance early (2-3).
This horse will enjoy a very long peak performance time, perhaps its entire racing career.
This horse prefers hard dirt.
This horse prefers soft dirt.
This horse is good in mud.
This horse prefers hard turf.
This horse is good on soft turf.
This horse is very hardy and unlikely to fall victim to injuries.
This horse obeys its jockey and is flexible in its pacing.
This horse looks like it can run at classic distances.

(BTW This is an AR (ability report) from a sim game not my own creation! and believe me they arent any guarantee of the horses type or ability!)

Last edited:
How significant is this in the grand scheme of things? Surely any trainer/agent worth their salt is able to use a horse's pedigree and physical appearance to categorize a horse into such broad categories already?

By Bloodstock World Staff 6:42PM 22 JAN 2010
INTENSE FOCUS, winner of the Dewhust Stakes in 2008, is to retire to Ballylinch Stud in Ireland for 2010.
He raced nine times as a juvenile, winning twice, with his other victory coming in a Curragh maiden on his second start. He was also second in the Coventry Stakes and third in the Grand Criterium.
By Giant's Causeway out of the Danehill mare Daneleta, a 7f juvenile winner and Group 3-placed, he isalso from the family of Soldier Of Fortune. His former trainer Jim Bolger is involved in the partnership of breeders who own him.
Ballylinch managing director John O'Connor said: "Intense Focus goes to stud as a Group 1-winning two-year-old by Giant's Causeway at a time when his sire's first two sons at stud Shamardal and Footstepsinthesand have made excellent starts to their stallion careers.
He is a beautifully conformed and very correct horse whose
looks will really appeal to breeders. As befits a very fast two-year-old he should have a strong influence for speed and precocity as he is a C:C on the Equinome Genetic Profile."

I'd say we can expect Bolger to give a rather thorough run-down of every one of his winner's Equinome profile over the next season.

Oh, boy, yet another piece of info racegoers will demand to be included in race cards! And the RP and TimeForm will have to include it, too. Not that having the gene will mean the horse will win - it'll just take the guesswork out of wondering if yours is an early or late type, or what its genes determine will be its best potential. It won't matter which type your horse is if it's got the wrong conformation and action, though, and it won't tell you what going it will prefer. So, yes, it could be a tool for breeders and trainers, but it won't give punters an edge unless they're informed it's an early/late type, etc. Which is why the info has to be made public, like the horse's gender, colour, and pedigree.

Interesting thought, though: if you have to eventually declare what type your nag is, be it speed, middle distance or long-distance - bang goes the old 'not suited by the trip' excuse, and the magnificent 'wrong distance' coups of a certain titled gent!

Quite right... all the test does (or claims to do) is to state which of three groups any thoroughbred falls into: Speed, Middle Distance, or Stamina, with high level certainty. It doesn’t tell you how good a horse is. Any 10 minute study of the pedigree should tell you the same thing, this test simply confirms it.

Dosage of course tells you the same thing but also screens out significant influence from that which is not significant and groups horses with rather more precision into five stamina categories. The gene test is more foolproof, but will be less precise about an individual’s distance potential.

As krizon mentions, other factors such as conformation, how relaxed and individual is, how well it has been taught to switch off, etc, etc. will help a horse get a trip that may be beyond its natural range.

However this test should point to where an individual’s natural attributes lie with broad-brush accuracy. Whether we believe this is "the most significant discovery in the history of the thoroughbred” is quite another matter.

The isolation of this so-called ‘speed gene’ may lead on to related data. It is interesting, but not earth-shatteringly “revolutionary” or especially useful as things stand.

Last edited:
I imagine quite a number of trainers will think it's a load of shite anyway.

I'm no trainer, nor jockey, not even a horse and I think it's shite. What is the point of this? Has racing become so sad that it is now drawn to this type of equine eugenics? Is there nothing better to spend money on in research such as: cause of catostrophic breakdown or how to safely mend a broken leg. I find this described research distatsteful. I thought a lot more of Bolger yesterday then I do today.

When I was at Cumanis over 20 years ago, David Marlin from the Animal Health Trust came out and took muscle biopsies from many horses to determine which had fast twitch and which had slow twitch muscles indicating sprinters or stayers. He also stuck on heart rate monitors and watched their stride rate. I was interested when he picked out Khayasi as the top of the horses he tested (he wasn't given any individuals details).

Actually, there's loads of research going into just what you mention, Turtle, and it's largely funded by the Levy Board (here in the UK), the research being undertaken by the equine sciences laboratories at a couple of universities. There's loads of research going on, quietly and behind the scenes, into all kinds of equine problems, from busted bones to mending tendons, to surgeries, respiratory problems, gut disorders, you name it. It's just that racing tends not to bang this particular drum at all, let alone loudly. Perhaps ATR and RUK could bestir themselves some time and take a peek behind the scenes to bring this sort of work to light. Never mind Racing for Change, and its emphasis on bums on seats - more positives, like the research, should be promoted. (This might also belong in the 'Rant' section!)

I know there is Krizon and this should be lauded.
I think messing with breeding, any animal (including us), is best left alone. I think that the so called identifying of genes that lead to a belief that a certain horse will perform to a certain, speed, distance, etc consigns a lot of good animals to the scrap heap. I am also mindful of the research completed by Edinburgh Uni:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2429926/ (sorry if not allowed to quote)
Breeding a horse to be a speedster is dependent on more then an ability to run. How the horse is nurtured and trained is equally important. What I am most concerned about is that the future of racing will be dominated by those who can afford this type of selective breeding. Where does this leave the joys of small stables doing well? The upset of the outsider against the odds on? Irony is that this is what RFC wants: a super league. If the research is to be believed this could well happen sooner then was thought and in a format that no-one thought of.
Poor horses. Never knew what they were getting into letting someone sit on their back.

I wouldn’t be worried if I were you TF. This development will not create a super league of trainers. It will simply tell them whether an individual has a natural aptitude for speed or stamina or middle distance (which they should have an idea about anyway). This development in itself is something and nothing. It won’t stop outsiders beating favourites and unless the procedure becomes much cheaper I can’t see any sensible person forking out for the service whether they be very wealthy or not. Bolger no doubt thinks he is on to a money-making scheme with this. I doubt he is.

There are exceptions in breeding. Usually horses that should be sprinters but excel at longer distances. It would be interesting to find out, after the event, how these get classified. If the new genetic muscle twitch finder identifies these, it would be of decent value.

SteveM's hit one very pertinent nail on the head, Turtle: the competency, or otherwise, of those entrusted with the TT, CC, ABC and XYZ's. Unless RFC demands the ranking of trainers in a similar fashion to horses' ratings - perhaps a (G) after one indicating God or Genius status, and an (I) for Idiot after far, far too many - it won't matter what the horses' genes indicate. It's still very much what the trainers' genes indicate that produces the results! Perhaps that'd be far more useful research - seeing which trainers are predisposed to making crap decisions, and which are much better suited to doing the right thing for their charges. Now, armed with that sort of info as well, punters could really go spank the bookies!

There's loads of research going on, quietly and behind the scenes, into all kinds of equine problems, from busted bones to mending tendons, to surgeries, respiratory problems, gut disorders, you name it.

Hey, maybe they can fix me?

Just one gene amongst many that determine the race horse. Where would sts stand in this. A grp 1 winner from 1m to 1m4f and he wasn't stopping.Will it really affect how a horse is sold or trained ? Dr Hill will be at Itba expo at Goffs on friday from 2-3pm if anyones interested. A non event imo.(the gene thing not the Expo)

Last edited:
The vet would fix you in a flash, DO. Just a little snip, and... oh! Oh, you mean your respiratory problems? Well, he could fix that, too. I reckon a tongue-tie to keep your airways open when you're active, with the longer-term prospects tilting towards Hobdaying you. Sorted!

Back