Star De Mohaison

eric c

At the Start
Can he come back from injury to be a factor for World Hurdle???
Some good judges think he might.

:xmastree: :xmastree: :xmastree: :xmastree: :xmastree:

Would seem an odd choice. Of course the owner and trainer have the best three staying chasers for years between them - that a factor?

Rated 139 over hurdles, he could realistically have less than 11st in the Pertemps final, should he be qualified. How would that make you feel ?

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Dec 19 2007, 02:46 PM
Would seem an odd choice. Of course the owner and trainer have the best three staying chasers for years between them - that a factor?
I reckon that could be a decisive factor Gareth, and was pretty much at the centre of my original hypothesis that this could be his best target. The other thing I'd add is the division is weak (almost by proxy it has to be) as top hurdlers stay at 2 miles when they're at their prime (no need to step up etc) and at least half the top novices go chasing. I've long harboured a suspicion that very few quality animals exist in the staying hurdles division, and it is largely grade 1 in name only. I'd be very interested to see what would happen if a genuine staying chaser was able to force a true pace, and thus see how many get caught out. I seem to think he started over hurdles last year, so he might do the same again, in which case the idea is bound to occur to connections, if it hasn't already. Otherwise I can't see why they'd be bothered lining up in the Gold Cup, and missing Cheltenham out altogether and targeting Liverpool might make more sense?.

I'd be curious to know who these good judges are Eric? have heard/ read something? I know I speculated about it on the noel Meade thread, but I was only 'flying a kite', I've got no idea if the race is under consideration or not, but I can certainl;y see that there's a compelling logic to it.

The owner really wants to win a Gold Cup, and is not getting any younger, cannot see any horse of his with any chance at all for that race going into any other race at the Festival.

Saw him at the Tingle Creek and he is very much looking forward to Star coming back chasing.

However, your idea is a good one!

Why put SdM in against Exotic Dancer in Gold Cup---he could win a sub standard
World Hurdle if back to his best---and Ogden would surely be pleased with that??.
The question is--?? has he recovered from his tendon strain to be ready to run soon.
He was taken out of the KG but that is an early closing race.
Hopefully all will be revealed in the next week.

:xmastree:

I've been told that connections are looking at a Pertemps Qualifier for him at Warwick or Uttoxeter. I think thats the 5th or 12th of Jan.

He has been going nicely but connections want a bit of juice in the ground and don't want him to have to run on ground where there could still be frost under the surface.

After that, all being well the Aon is a ootential target, ahead of the Ryanair and then the Topham weight depending.

He remains ridiculously well treated over hurdles so qualifying for the Pertemps makes plenty of sense, although it's a two edged sword; if he retains all his ability then he won't be running in a handicap hurdle at the Festival but if he doesn't retain that ability then he wouldn't look such a good thing off his hurdle mark.

Why would Star de Mohaison have pretensions of beating Inglis Drever over hurdles? Hardly an easy assignment. Pertemps would of course be a differnet matter.

I suppose you should never be afraid of any single horse. Beating Drever would be within his compass, and if I could find a fancy price now, I wouldn't be averse to speculating a couple of shekels on him. The thing about the Gold Cup of course is that he wouldn't be worrying about a single horse but 3 potentially top drawer ones at the very least, plus a few other useful types if you want to bring MWDS and Taranis into play. I'm sure most of us would conceed that the stayers is the easier assignment

Back