Star De Mohaison

Aldaniti

At the Start
Pardon the ignorance here but surely if a horse is not capable of being trained up hills because of a problem with his hocks & the possibility of the horse breaking down, then it shouldn't be on a racecourse jumping hurdles/fences?

Article below

STAR DE MOHAISON, who was almost forced into retirement by long-standing injury problems last year, could make a return to the racecourse in Saturday’s Pertemps Handicap Hurdle at Warwick.

The 2006 John Smith's Mildmay Novices' Chase winner was formerly trained by Paul Nicholls but has moved to Martin Todhunter after connections agreed with the champion trainer that the horse needed to be trained on a flat surface.

Barry Simpson, racing manager to owner Sir Robert Ogden, said on Monday: “We are taking it one day at a time with him. The horse is sound but he has hock problems and the vets are concerned he could break down on a steep hill.

“He’s ready to have a run and if Warwick goes ahead we will send him there.”

I couldn't help but notice that Beck's association with Tim Vaughan had ended already.
How many trainers' have his horses' had now?

Been waiting to see whether Neil Harvey will change trainers if and when the horse reappears.

See 'Beck Bounces 'em Back', Arkers. Three back to Venetia. Perhaps he liked the way she pulled his Christmas cracker?

I couldn't help but notice that Beck's association with Tim Vaughan had ended already.
How many trainers' have his horses' had now?

Been waiting to see whether Neil Harvey will change trainers if and when the horse reappears.

Richard Guest, Venetia Williams, Nick Gifford, Jimmy Lambe, George Baker, Tim Vaughan, Suzy Smith, John O'Shea and Evan Williams have all been used for various horses over the past few years. Every horse seems to have about 3 trainers, at least.

Sir Robert Ogden is a cock, I believe, QUOTE]

Yes. I want to like Ogden because he is an interesting character, self made, gives tons to charity, lives life to the fullest despite various illnesses .... and has some of the most wonderful horses that I have loved. But, I just can't warm to him.

If you talk to him about his horses he seems to appreciate them and care a great deal about them. But I remain suspicious ever since he sent Marlborough away from the Henderson yard to race in France on the heavy ground the horse hated. Of course he did nothing and was returned to Nicky shortly afterwards. His horse, so his decision natch, but does make you wonder.

The training regime at Paul's is tough (not a criticism, he gets them fit) and fragile horses who have left have certainly won for other trainers, such as Bergo. Star was so promising but I'd definitely be worred about him jumping with those legs. They must think if he is trained carefully he will have one or two big races left in him before he breaks down.

have to agree on all thats been said.

"vets are concerned he might break down on a steep hill " ????? how can you consider running a horse anywhere then?

The problem being that now it is 'public' that Star De Mohaison has this problem with hills if he does break down and it proves fatal it does not look good to the racing public who will, rightfully, query the horse running. If the key is flat tracks then I wish Ogdon well but if it is now the case that SDM is generally fragile there could be critical fallout. Daresay, he will weather any storm if the horse comes to harm. Shame about the horse as he was really useful in his time and he is only 9.

Back