Storm Cat Retires From Stud Duties

Venusian

At the Start
Another legendary stallion retires.

According to an article in the Thoroughbred Times today, Storm Cat has been pensioned at the age of 25 after getting only 3 mares in foal this season, compared to 68 last year.

His health remains good, but his fertilty has declined dramatically.

Happy retirement to the old boy.

Two in two days....capable of getting top class performers obviously but made his name for his yearling sale prices more than anything else.

It's interesting to compare his record to Sadler's Wells.

SW has 14.7% black type winners to foals, and an AEI (Average Earnings Index) of 3.82.

SC's figures are 13.3% and 3.41 AEI.

So we can say that SW is just the better of these two exceptional stallions.

The best stallion of the last 50 years would have to be Bold Ruler, with 23% black type winners to foals, and a stratospheric AEI of 7.73

Originally posted by Galileo@Jul 4 2007, 09:06 PM
Darley has spent $52.6 million on Storm Cat colts in the last decade, with British Blue the only resulting stakes winner.

So more of a reflection on Darley than Storm Cat then.

Venusian, I love all of the stats and info you provide here - who are you really?

I am impressed at your knowledge, and if this is just a hobby then I am doubly impressed. My brain is far too full of rubbish to maintain anywhere near as much info as you do, but I am fascinated by it.

I've been watching the videos of both sires, and Northern Dancer and am amazed at how their presence comes over even on film, and in the case of Northern Dancer, old crackly film.

:)

One thing that I was just wondering today was whether, when considering the relative successes/merits of a stallion, the success (or perhaps lack thereof) of his progeny in the sales ring (regardless of performance on the track) should factor into the way he is viewed. Would be interested to hear the views of our resident experts (Venusian, that's you! :P )

Think it is fitting that both Storm Cat and Sadlers Well go out at the same time. In recent years the like of Sunday Silence and Danehill would combine to make it a quartet we may have to wait a while to see again.

It will be interesting to see the next super stallions over a fifteen year period ..possible Galileo, Montjeu, Kingmambo, Smart Strike, Tiznow, AP Indy, Giants Causeway etc

I've just noticed Tiznow in your list - his AEI of around 1.66 is pretty feeble when you consider the quality of mares he's received, and there are plenty of stallions around with much better numbers than that. His percentage of black type winners to foals must be less than 5%. He's just an ordinary sire.

And Giant''s Causeway is overrated imo. He's received stellar books of mares but hasn't really made the most of his opportunities, and there are some soundness issues with his stock - his percentage of starters to foals of racing age is not much over 50%.

Would disagree with that in particular regarding your negative comments regarding Tiznow and GC

Currently leading sires in the USA on May 19, 2008

1 SMART STRIKE (1992, Mr. Prospector), Lane's End, KY $150,000 151/41 3/3 2/1 Curlin, $3,705,000 $5,338,715
2 BOUNDARY(1990, Danzig) Pnsd 55/21 3/5 1/1 Big Brown, $2,676,700 $3,266,560
3 GIANT'S CAUSEWAY (1997, Storm Cat), Ashford Stud, KY $125,000 173/46 7/7 5/1 Heatseeker, $768,000 $3,034,037
4 TIZNOW (1997, Cee's Tizzy), WinStar Farm, KY $30,000 111/38 4/6 4/1 Well Armed, $780,000 $2,991,327

Back