Straw Bear

I'd be tempted to have a couple of quid of Bywell Beau,think he might nick it from the front.

No, and it's hard to know what they might do with him now. Any ideas? Further?

I only caught the replay of the last couple of flights and didn't have any bets at all anywhere today but Murphy didn't exactly get after SB, did he?

Well if he's going to burst again under max pressure they might as well wait for the big one

He had every chance, just not good enough today. He's a good solid horse just below Champion Hurdle class. Just because he isnt going to win or place in The Champion Hurdle hardly needs a post mortem of what-the-hell-are-they-going-to-do-now proportions. He's always going to pay his way.

What it further satisfies in my mind is that Harchibald is not as good as he was and will not be the slightest factor in The Champion.

I agree that 1) Straw Bear always seemed to be labouring ever so slightly rather than travelling well (even passing the stands on the first circuit I thought that) and that 2) he is a very talented horse yet not a Champion Hurdle winner. I think he is good enough to be in the 6 in the Champion at least but would love to see him over fences.

Not that I've heard, Colin. Afsoun is, however, a deceptive creatue I feel - he is bit of a rogue (to put it kindly!) and the performances he turns in can vary wildly from impressive to non-descript.

I'm hoping Gifford sends Straw Bear over fences - he should prove to be useful enough as a 2m-2m4f chaser.

I The next logical step for Straw Bear, perhaps not this season but definitely next, has to be the bigger obstacles. Until today I wasn't entirely convinced, but now I think he's found his limit over hurdles and it appears to be in that horrible limbo between top handicapper and championship class. He'd have a lot more options over fences, and Nick Gifford's record with chasers is much better than with hurdlers.

Originally posted by uncle goober@Feb 2 2008, 07:09 PM
He's a good solid horse just below Champion Hurdle class. Just because he isnt going to win or place in The Champion Hurdle hardly needs a post mortem of what-the-hell-are-they-going-to-do-now proportions. He's always going to pay his way.

Well speaking for myself I was thinking of several other hurdlers who have turned out to be just below top class as hurdlers and it is very difficult to know what to do with them - they are not going to win Graded races and they're too high in the handicap to carry big weights. They aren't really chasers either tho they can pick up a Novice chase or two. Penzance is a good example - AK is forever scratching his head over what to do with him next

It's surely a pertinent question, since the nag has his own thread? - doesn't mean he's is being written off!!

I was talking of the general problem... And yes he did, but it doesn't look like he will win another anytime soon as horses in the grade seem to be improving past him. I was trying to think of alternatives for him than the ChH, and wondered what others might come up with

I think Afsoun had a good day and Straw Bear underperformed today.

Neither of them has a chance of winning the Champion Hdl.

never rated Straw Bear and can't see any improvement with fences.
maybe a couple of well placed novice wins but that's it

Originally posted by sunybay@Feb 3 2008, 12:20 AM
I think Afsoun had a good day and Straw Bear underperformed today.

Neither of them has a chance of winning the Champion Hdl.
I disagree Suny. I thought that was a good trial yesterday. They went a really good pace, which is something we can expect in March. Afsoun didn't get worked up beforehand and gave his true running, and is clearly suited by a strongly run race. He finished third last year when probably being given a bit too much to do and as a young horse he's entitled to have improved over the last twelve months. He certainly looks stronger than this time last year. Everyone is getting excited about Sizing Europe and Osana, and the latter in particular is likely to ensure Afsoun gets the race run the way he needs. He would be one of three that will certainly benefit and I can see him running a big race again this year. I also have a feeling that we may have a shock result and Osana and Sizing Europe may just do for each other in the same way that Inca and Hardy did last year.

Even if he hasn't improved since last year he should be pushing for a place again if he runs his race.

Although, rather like Louanos in the AIG you'd have to be worried about Osako D'Airy - OR 127 / best RPR 127 - only being beaten by ~22lbs yesterday.

Straw Bear seems rather in and out nowadays - didn't look anything like the same horse yesterday as he did in the Christms Hurdle when he and Harchi went well clear of some good yardsticks.

I don't quite see where the writing Harchibald off comes from . His effort in the FFH was a cracker and considering the Osana /Katchit form from the Bula he is still in there and who would benefit more from a fast pace on good ground ?

I dont think Straw Bear is the type of horse you could use as a confident form guide...much like Afsoun already.

Harchibald at Newcastle was back to his best imo but given the stable form of late its hard to fancy him.

I dont think Harchibald is as good as he was. I thought the Fighting Fifth was a funny-run race and not a result to rely on with regards to form shown. I think Katchit ran a better race in The Bula than he did at Newcastle. I dont give Straw Bear a chance in The Champion and so failing to beat Straw Bear, even an at-his-best Straw Bear, at Kempton showed me that Harchibald is not going to be a factor in The Champion. I dont think the horse is as good as he was, even given his ideal conditions, I dont see him turning back the clock three years and expect him to be beaten before they turn for home, let alone appearing to be cruising.

Back