Strong Suit

Simon

At the Start
I remember reading he'd been sold by Julie Wood to Pearl Bloodstock, but I see he's down as owned by Qatar Bloodstock?

I think he has been retired.

I'm wrong.

Strong Suit snapped up by Pearl Bloodstock

BY CYRUS DAILAMI 7:43AM 15 AUG 2011

STRONG SUIT, winner of the Coventry Stakes as a two-year-old, and this year's Lennox Stakes, was on Sunday revealed to be the latest acquisition in the "strong string" being purchased for Sheikh Fahad Al Thani's Pearl Bloodstock operation.

The son of Rahy ran out a ready winner of the Group 2 Lennox at Goodwood last month in the colours of Julie Wood, and the colt may return to the West Sussex course for the Betfair Celebration Mile later this month.

Sheikh Fahad's racing advisor David Redvers said on Sunday: "He passed the vet this morning and we are pleased with the purchase. He is an outright sale, and we bought him with a view to travel and win races abroad.

"I haven't spoken to Richard [Hannon] yet about any plans, but I could definitely see him staying a mile; perhaps it would have to be the mile round a sharp turning course like Churchill Downs. The Celebration Mile may be a target, but nothing is decided."

I remember reading he'd been sold by Julie Wood to Pearl Bloodstock, but I see he's down as owned by Qatar Bloodstock?

One and the same - Pearl Bloodstock is the European front of house for Sheikh Fahad's Qatar Bloodstock holdings which he put together in 2010 to separate the Qatar royal family holdings from his own bloodstock endevours. They also own Makfi and are heavily involved with Tweenhills/David Redvers. They've poured money into British racing this year via the Qipco Champion series.

Thanks Miesque. I wonder then, why they need two sets of colours and horses running under two names. They have the likes of Frederick Engels and Codemaster amongst others in the UK, Lightning Pearl and others in Ireland and a few in France in the yellow and blue Pearl Bloodstock colours as well as Strong Suit and Total Gallery etc in the navy and white Qatar Bloodstock silks. I note that Frederick Engels used to run in Qatar colours but is now in Pearl Bloodstock. Strange.

It depends on percentage ownerships, where the horse might stand later stud wise and personal dealings within the Royal family. There's little difference between their chopping and changing and silk allocations and the use of the Magnier, Smith and Tabor colours on different horses in Ballydoyle/Longfield and the auxillary trainers.

There is possibly tax/business reasons for having several companies owning the horses too - infact I'd guarantee it.

Interesting. I'd always wondered why Sheikh Mohammed ran under some many different guises - Godolphin, himself, sons, wives, friends and other companies such as Jumeirah Racing etc. - perhaps this explains it.

I've often wondered why the Ballydoyle connected horses' ownership swaps round so much. I also wondered who actually owns the horses at the end of the day. You are always lead to believe Coolmore is John Magnier's, but there always seems to be many different people involved in the horses. Principally Tabor and Smith, but also the likes of David Nagle, the guys involved in So You Think and many more...

It all comes to John Magnier through the breeding operation (Coolmore) in the end. You will note he is not a racehorse owner, as such, it is rather Mrs John Magnier for racing purposes in various combinations with Tabor, Smith, etc.

Last edited:
Interesting. I'd always wondered why Sheikh Mohammed ran under some many different guises - Godolphin, himself, sons, wives, friends and other companies such as Jumeirah Racing etc. - perhaps this explains it.

I've often wondered why the Ballydoyle connected horses' ownership swaps round so much. I also wondered who actually owns the horses at the end of the day. You are always lead to believe Coolmore is John Magnier's, but there always seems to be many different people involved in the horses. Principally Tabor and Smith, but also the likes of David Nagle, the guys involved in So You Think and many more...

This one is slightly easier to answer. Coolmore belongs solely to Mr.Magnier. However, much of the bloodstock interests are held in partnership others such as Tabor, Smith, Barronstown stud (Nagle), Longfield stud (Wachman) and others. Occasionally deals are struck outside that small group such as the Hays partnership of Cape Blanco and Fame&Glory.

For stallion prospects such as So You Think (and more recently Excelebration) often the previous owners retain an interest to maintain a breeding right to the horse.

So who receives the profits from So You Think when he retires? Solely Magnier, or is he held in a partnership with his other owners and the profits are split, or is the current partnership just for his racing days?

Race earnings are presumably split between partners.

...of course. The majority of the contracts relate to the division of racing profits between the various sets of partners during their racing careers at Ballydoyle.

After that rights usually revert to Coolmore (i.e. Magnier) re breeding career.

But as far as I'm aware Sir Alex was 'given' the horse, whereas Tabor and Smith put in millions of their own dosh, yet Magnier gets the breeding rights? It's an odd set-up.

Back