Stud Fees vs. Genetic Potential - interesting paper.

there is certainly no support for the hypothesized positive genetic correlation between stallion nomination fees and lifetime prize earnings.
if the goal is to maximize lifetime prize winnings, then it seems clear that stud fees are not an honest signal of a stallion's genetic quality.

Do you think?
Maybe the scope of what you get is still limited by the scope of the money - cheap will mean poor, as always, won't it?
You just don't know how much extra bang per buck you might get ... excluding any Phar Laps, of course.

Well, yes but this works into the argument that expensive stallions get sent better mares and therefore have an advantage...what if you could cover Galileo's book with say, Iffraaj or Dark Angel. What would you get?

After using phar more vowels and consonants than a Mephisto crossword, and dizzying algebraic formulae which leave my mathematical age of six spinning, it comes down to this: no, money can't guarantee results.

I could put up my first venture with Songsheet to demo that theory. We bought a RELAUNCH mare i/f to AGNES WORLD, then standing for £65,000. This bought what Venusian was to ascribe as 'probably the worst horse in training', the useless WORLDWIND, who took until four years of age to get even slightly raceworthy, before disgracing her genes with a debut and second run (Laura and Ian Mongan know when to pull the plug) seeing her come last, some 30l off the penultimate finisher. AW had pulled in over $2m in prize money, looked gorgeous - and proved a fiasco ever since, with the slight exception of the AW stalwart CODA AGENCY (David Arbuthnot), who I think has now been retired. QED.

Thinking about it, it's a bogus question.There is no way of calculating any correlation between stallion fees and genetic potential.

Yes, I'd agree with that, of course - but hey, it presumably paid two researchers a decent whack to come up with a lot of arcana that grandiosely grinds towards our own conclusions!

Well, yes but this works into the argument that expensive stallions get sent better mares and therefore have an advantage...what if you could cover Galileo's book with say, Iffraaj or Dark Angel. What would you get?

Will anyone try it? No-one has the balls .... which is a great pity.
Then again, they'd probably get the sharp end of JM's boot ... and a long line of other studders protecting their fanciful seeders.

Back