Sunday 11th June 2023

yorick

Conditional
Al Rufaa - 1.35 Goodwood 9/1 Ew

I mentioned to you, didn't I Outsider, that Al Rufaa ran a prep-looking race last time out at Chester? After that show, I wrote in my notes:

Al Rufaa

27/05/23 Chester 7f Gd Cl 2.

This looked for all the world like a prep run. Made lovely, stealthy headway in the final furlong with very tender assistance from the jockey. Higher than his LWR, they’ll shed a few pounds for this and then maybe another shot at Newmarket (won there twice). Raced in the Bunbury Cup last term off 99 and this run could well drop him to 87, which would be of interest.

As it happens, if he's to run in the Bunbury, he'd need to go up a few pounds so it's not out of the question that they'll be having a go. In last year's Bunbury, he was only 4l off the winner, racing off 99. The race after that, he beat Mitrosonfire off 97 (He's 13Lbs better of with that one in this race) His current mark is 87. He looks well handicapped to me. Yes, his best performances have come on straight tracks and certainly Goodwood is no July course but he does seem to have Lbs in hand so I'll stick my neck out on that score and he'd be my bet of the day, for sure. 9/1 at present so Ew would be the call, of course.

Waddya reckon?

Not the outcome I was looking for, of course, but the mark will drop again as a result, which is consolation of some sort for there's no doubt that his previous run showed the ability is still there.
It's difficult to foresee another stab at the Bunbury unless his mark improves somewhat.

Obviously, a return to the July course is something I'll be on the lookout for.

Nil desperandum

Last edited:
Back