Sunday 18th June 2023

yorick

Conditional
As the season begins to take shape I have a couple of Ew candidates today.

There are a couple today that I think offer good value.

Firstly, I'm having an ew pop at:

Cottie - 2.55 Downpatrick 18/1 Ew

I backed him lto, thinking that the extra distance of 2m 4f would suit. During the race I noticed that he travelled very well indeed in last place over the first circuit. Making smooth headway as they approached three out, I was harbouring thoughts of a positive outcome but he had a little too much ground to make up as they quickened and could only stay on at the one pace, finishing fifth. I thought that during the ace there were times when the jockey restrained his mount and not because he was travelling too freely. In the end, it looked like more of a prep race t for him than the real thing. Alternatively, one might say that his lack of a run for 205 days meant that he simply tired.

Whatever the opinion (and do have a look at the race; I'd love someone to offer their view), I do think it was a promising effort and, given that he'll come on from the run and is better in with the first two in that race, 18/1 4 places looks too tempting to resist.

Secondly, there's:

Call Me Ginger - 3.50 Doncaster 16/1 Ew

It looks to me that this fellow looks too good a chance, on form, to stand at his current 16/1, outsider of the field. He ran second in the Portland last term (promoted to first subsequently), just 1/2l behind Chipstead. A line through that leaves CMG better off with Mundammej (7/1) and looks well in with Burning Cash (4/1 here) on that one's run against Chipstead lto.

Whatever the result, it seems that CMG looks a real Ew opportunity. That old tinker Jim Goldie is not averse to winning with these types: decent form chances at big prices. Again, I can't resist the temptation of the 16/1 on offer.

At the moment, there are the 'dead eight' runners but I think a nr is a certainty, reducing the Ew terms to just two places. We'll be hit with a R$ too, just to rub our noses in it - you watch.

I hope for two decent runs.

2 x Ew singles
Ew Double

You never know with Goldie. Call Me ginger is a plot horse, but when Goldie will choose to launch him is anyone’s guess.

That's the truth of the matter. He knows how to get a good price, though. He's as canny as you like and with the pathetic prize money in this country being what it is, gambling is the only way to make it pay, so who's to blame trainers for that?

Anyway, the horse does look to have much more than an outsider's chance.

Back