Sunday 19th March 2023.

yorick

Conditional
Certainly the Sunday after the Lord Mayor's show of the last week so perhaps a Sunday bet here may be folly.

Yet, looking at Carlisle, I am certainly interested in:

Uncle Alaistair - Carlisle 3.55 9/2 Ew

A veteran's chase, yes, but this gelding is having only his 15th chase run and only his 2nd over 3m. Looking at the Midnight Legend and Kayf Tara in his breeding, 3m, at least, looks to be the call. His only run over 3m came at this course when the race comment read:

'Raced wide, held up in rear, headway into midfield 14th, going easily 3 out, shaken up and went third 2 out, pushed along and went second last, ridden run-in, no extra final 110yds'

Interesting that he came there easily but didn't go on to win. They apply first-time visor here and that may wake up his ideas somewhat. Back to 3m and with trainer Richards showing 3 wins from his last 7 runners, we might expect a bold showing, getting weight from the top two, Lord De Mesnil (who seems to reserve his best for Haydock) and Ramses De Taillez (only ever won on L/h courses). My lad must have a good shout here.

Looking at the hunter chase, an extremely rare occurrence for me, I look at Step Back and think that the heavy ground will surely be against him, making the 9/2 look ridiculously short. The same can be said of hot fav Time Leader, who's only ever raced, under rules, on Good or G/sft. This does seem to suggest that there's value to be had elsewhere.

I'm thinking that Sherwood and Guirierro may be excellent value to top off a great week with:

Late Romantic 5.20 Carlisle 12/ Ew

If we look at his form, he's lightly raced for a 13yo (only 17 chases in his 22 -race career) and the profile of his rules chasing does look good here. Also, he's won twice on heavy ground. 12/1 looks just too long to pass up.

I'll be having a small saver, too, on Billy Bronco, another tried and tested soft ground gelding over the distance. The big price looks tempting and I'v got 18/1 for a first 4 finish.

Lastly, I'm prepared to forgive:

In Excelsis Deo - 3.50 Chepstow 11/4 win

his last run. He impressed me greatly when winning on his chase debut and it could be that the good ground was against him when he failed to follow up lto. He's back on the soft again now.

Yes, it's a Sunday but I'm having a go anyway.

A good day, no doubt and even though Late Romantic disappointed, I was glad I saved on Billy Bronco, who rounded things off nicely. In that race I was happy to bear in mind Phil Bull's (Timeform founder) maxim that the two most important aspects of a horse's chance are distance and going; the favourites were there to be taken on, given the going at Carlisle.

Another maxim would be to bear in mind a trainer's form. Nicky Richards' stable form was good going into the race and he's now had 4 winners from his last 7 runners.

In Excelsis Deo is a strange one. He jumps so well and had his soft ground but I wonder.

Is he a head case? Or are they waiting for his second season, getting his mark down and waiting to unleash him over 2m in handicaps next term?

We mustn't forget he's only a 5yo.

Last edited:
Back