Sunday 25th June 2023

yorick

Conditional
What a thoroughly enjoyable day's racing Saturday. A lovely profit secured and banked.

The trick now is not to get carried away. So often one can start believing that we've got this game sussed when really, it's nothing of the sort; we're always one race away from the next loser. Pessimistic? Oh yes indeed.

That said, I do have one which I think has strong claims:

Oneforthegutter - 4.15 Pontfratct 16/1 Ew

After his run last August at York, I made the following note:

Oneforthegutter

20/08/22 York 10f g/f Cl 2

Making up steady ground in the final furlong, this one gives the impression that further will suit, especially given that this race was double quick (faster than course ave).
Al in all, a lovely performance from this 3yo whose mark has dropped from102 to 92 here. Another drop of a couple of pounds after this run, maybe.

A Cambridgeshire entry. Very interesting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, the mark has dropped further to 87 for this. He's had a nice prep run at Chester this term, after a wind op and he runs again here carrying top weight. You know that top weight holds no fears for me in a case such as this, when a horse droppd markedly in class after the OR has dropped. This is a class 4 and, as such, I believe his odds are just too big to pass up.

"The trick now is not to get carried away. So often one can start believing that we've got this game sussed when really, it's nothing of the sort; we're always one race away from the next loser. Pessimistic? Oh yes indeed."

Well said, Yorick. Guilty. Several times over the years!

Seems a few of us landed on SL independently. Will have to remember that next time, an omen perhaps :-)

GL today, hope the (positive) run continues.

WD Yorick & GL today. As to having this game sussed I've been guilty of it too. Now I rely on % of bank even following a very good day (eg after one of Outsider's sprint h/cappers wins)

It's good to get the feedback, chaps. So often it can seem like shouting in an empty cathedral on here: the echo is deafening lol.

The (many) years have taught me to be more controlled in my betting and certainly more circumspect in whether to back in a race or leave it alone. I think there's one thing for sure: there'll always be another race, so hold hard if unsure. In my younger days, I think I was guilty of betting on two flies on a wall or which raindrop would reach the bottom of the windowpane first. Not any more, I can assure you.

Were you on SL, Chaumi?

A couple of addenda to my Oneforthegutter post:

His seasonal debut at Chester was on soft. Not his ground at all but I'm happy to see that he finished not that far behind an was actually plugging on quite nicely, in a quiet sort of way. The race analysis doesn't agree with that but I tend to trust my eyes on this sort of thing.

Oh, trainer Williams is in the doldrums, to add a note of caution.

Traila went close, didn't he/ Another nice profit, having got the 16's earlier. Only a head in it.

Last edited:
What happens - I think - is that blog posts don't get flagged up anywhere. So you have to either get told (as you often do, Yorick), go searching specifically, or keep checking the 'what's new'. Maybe there is a way to get new blog posts emailed in a similar way to the the thread entries. But I think Bryan will be changing the way the blogs work anyway, wait and see.

Yes, Yorick, SL owed me, I wasn't going to let it slip through fingers!

Good note on Onefor, I'd been watching all day for rain (for one running later) and there had been zero. Definitely worth watching for another day when it's wet.

Back