Sunday Rant

barjon

Conditional
I’ve got a post-it note on my computer which says leave David O’Meara’s horse alone and beware if he has got one in a race where I’m involved. It’s there to remind me that he’s a trainer I find impossible to read (amongst many others :D ).

Take yesterday at Doncaster, for instance. Riot wins the 7:00 showing markedly improved form and his representative is hauled before the stewards.

“The winner RIOT (IRE) appeared to show improved form compared with its run at York on the 14 June 2024, where the gelding finished tenth of sixteen runners beaten 9½ lengths. The representative of David O’Meara could offer no explanation for the gelding’s improvement on this occasion.” No explanation - oh, that’s alright then, off you go.

In the 8:00 Indivar was a quite well supported favourite - carried my money as well (hence the rant probably) - and finished 11th (Midfield, weakened from 2f out, eased inside final furlong). To my eye he was quite well positioned until push came to shove when Nolan made a token effort then let him drift in.

“Following the race, David Nolan reported that INDIVAR (IRE), unplaced, was never travelling.” Unlikely to have been the ground - he’s won on G/F before, so just one of those things. (Ah, ok then, off you go). Maybe it was because he was favourite.

There doesn’t seem much point in stewards if all they are going to be so easily pleased. Rant over!

Last edited:
what about: "The jockey reported that the horse stopped quickly".

Well, you don't say. Thank God for the experts, eh?

I’ve got a post-it note on my computer which says leave David O’Meara’s horse alone and beware if he has got one in a race where I’m involved. It’s there to remind me that he’s a trainer I find impossible to read (amongst many others :D ).

Take yesterday at Doncaster, for instance. Riot wins the 7:00 showing markedly improved form and his representative is hauled before the stewards.

“The winner RIOT (IRE) appeared to show improved form compared with its run at York on the 14 June 2024, where the gelding finished tenth of sixteen runners beaten 9½ lengths. The representative of David O’Meara could offer no explanation for the gelding’s improvement on this occasion.” No explanation - oh, that’s alright then, off you go.

In the 8:00 Indivar was a quite well supported favourite - carried my money as well (hence the rant probably) - and finished 11th (Midfield, weakened from 2f out, eased inside final furlong). To my eye he was quite well positioned until push came to when Nolan made a token effort then let him drift in.

“Following the race, David Nolan reported that INDIVAR (IRE), unplaced, was never travelling.” Unlikely to have been the ground - he’s won on G/F before, so just one of those things. (Ah, ok then, off you go). Maybe it was because he was favourite.

There doesn’t seem much point in stewards if all they are going to be so easily pleased. Rant over!
Then theres': "They're horses not machines"

Back