System Builder

• Thread starter Thread starter Bruce_Savage
  • Start date Start date
B

Bruce_Savage

Hi there Talking Horses,

Never really been a systems person, whenever I've come across threads on the websites regarding Systems I either don't read or just skim through as it has never really interested me as there is much more to racing than a simple system.

Since a lack of time on myside, I don't have the time to read in depth or study for long hours which is a shame. The flat season I've followed numerous tipsters on here and other forums at a great loss but I'm not blaming anyone.

My best option is to try and find a system that I know has shown to return a profit over numerous years which I can easily load up the Proform builder and find my bests safely knowing I'm being pointed in the right direction - costly tool but has to be done.

Systems I've tried coming up with!

• System 1
    1046 runners / 310 winners / +£180 / 15% ROI
    System 2
    212 runners / 85 winners / +£78 / 38% ROI
    System 3
    433 runners / 155 winners / +£61 / 14% ROI
    System 4
    343 runners / 125 winners / +£71 / 21% ROI
    System 5
    70 runners / 40 winners / +£55 / 60% ROI
    System 6
    876 runners / 341 winners / +£81 / 9% ROI
    System 6
    387 runners / 199 winners / +£89 / 23% ROI

Still not that happy with what I've produced but i'll see how this thread goes anyway!

Qualifiers for today (02/11/2011)
  • 330 Chepstow - Pavillion Bleu
    320 Warwick - Shammy Buskins
    420 Warwick - Brave Alliance

Any ideas on how to improve some of these statistics?

How can we make suggestions as to how you can improve the statistics when we have no idea what the systems are?

These systems sound very profitable, would you consider supplying the selections for a fee? Please let me know if you have bank details to arrange the transfer, or if you would like me to send cash.

Last edited:
If i had a 60% ROI i would be keeping it to myself and punting it for all its worth!!! I'll have chips and beans with my spam please.

Any ideas on how to improve some of these statistics?

…junk bonds may work.

Any system is only efficient if you are achieving an expected target in relation to your outlay. Obviously the more you attempt to maximise your upside the riskier it will be. I’d prefer to defend downside than maximise upside for a predictable return over a season (or series of seasons).

The more predictable the skinnier the margin, it’s all about what works for you. Also bear in mind that many systems are not consistent across a given 10 year period say. Those that are consistent are worth sticking with, sacrificing flashy looking upside for a predictable return.

Always back the outsider of 4
Never back favourites on a bank holiday
Never back 3 year olds against older horses before the end of May.
Never trust a filly at the back end of the year.
Never bet more than you can afford to lose.
A good big 'un will beat a good small 'un. (not sure if that works if you substitute "one" for "'un")

Follow a filly in form.
Back horses at strange odds like 85/40, 19/4, 17/4 or 21/20. That 5/40, 1/4 or 1/20 could be the difference between a profitable system or a poor one.
Back top weights in handicaps
Back well handicapped horses
Back improving horses if you think they are improving
Back gigilo's tips and lay them off for really spicy profits
Never drink and bet

Always back the outsider of 4
Never back favourites on a bank holiday
Never back 3 year olds against older horses before the end of May.
Never trust a filly at the back end of the year.
Never bet more than you can afford to lose.
A good big 'un will beat a good small 'un. (not sure if that works if you substitute "one" for "'un")

Follow a filly in form.
Back horses at strange odds like 85/40, 19/4, 17/4 or 21/20. That 5/40, 1/4 or 1/20 could be the difference between a profitable system or a poor one.
Back top weights in handicaps
Back well handicapped horses
Back improving horses if you think they are improving
Back gigilo's tips and lay them off for really spicy profits
Never drink and bet

Thank you guys!

I took Fillies out of my builder and I've seen dramatic improvements!

Bookies give the best odds when there are 15 runners.

Favourites in nurseries should be followed blind.

Bet 5lb claimers after 3 losing rides until they win.

Most jockeys win eventually, so pick some & follow them.

Back the No.7 in the last race of any meeting - like GROSS PROPHET @ 8/1 today. And the No.1 in the first race. I wish I could see the stats for the number of times these two magic numbers have come up like this - it's weird, but regular.

Back horses with names that insinuate they're female at Portman Park, Sprint Valley, Steepledowns etc. ie. "Miss...." "Lady...." "Helen..."

Chap on the street told me this is foolproof and shows record profits.

No need to take the piss.

Not a great impression on a new member, especially if you think I can't see the hidden jibes behind your sarcastic comments.

This thread has just as much right to be here than any other more scientifc or biological threaed.

In fact, I'm rather put off by the fact you have more knowledge than me and use that to make me feel small on here.

Anyway, I'll come back in a weeks time to see if things have changed.

One for today;

425 - Morning Royalty

Last edited:
Okay Bruce. I have tried to answer you as well as I can on what we had to go on, but to be fair to the others I can see their point… and I’m sure they’re not thinking that you don’t get it. Good luck.

It's hard to analyse a system and explain ways to improve it if the only thing we're using are the number of bets, number of winning bets and ROI %.

They all look good and short of saying "improve the ROI" there's little that can be done to improve them without giving details of which races you're betting in, which horses, jockeys, trainers, going, are they just Maidens or Handicaps, Fillies races etc?

If you could provide the forum with these details then it would be easier to find ways to help improve the system.

Martin

Back