Takeover target back in training

Aldaniti

At the Start
I thought it was April 1st when I read this!

Australia: Royal Ascot regular Takeover Target could be on the verge of a remarkable comeback to racing as an 11-year-old.
According to reports in Australia, the sprint legend is already back in three-quarter work with trainer Joe Janiak ready for a return to full training.
Takeover Target won the King's Stand Stakes in 2006 on the first of four summer visits to Britain.
A winner in four countries, he was never worse than fourth in six races altogether at the royal meeting, but the gelding was retired after cracking a cannon bone in finishing seventh in the 2009 July Cup at Newmarket.
8041-takeover-target-joe-janiak.jpg
Joe Janiak with Takeover Target
PICTURE: Edward Whitaker
However, it seems Takeover Target has made a complete recovery and Janiak is planning to put him back into work with the view to a return to the track in the new year.
"I've had him X-rayed and got vet reports on him and he's probably stronger on that leg than he ever was," Janiak told Sky Sports Radio, as reported by AAP.
"The way the horse is going and the way he's feeling, if he shows me he wants to keep going, I'll keep going. If there was any doubt whatsoever I wouldn't even consider it."
Since his retirement, Takeover Target has since travelled across Australia in a special farewell tour.
It was during an appearance on the first day of the Newcastle Jockey Club's spring carnival on Wednesday that Janiak flagged the possibility of a surprise comeback for his headline horse.
"I've had him up to three-quarter pace," said Janiak, the former taxi driver who also became an international racing celebrity thanks to his star performer.
Alongside his exploits in Britain, Takeover Target won some of the world's biggest sprints, including the lavishly endowed Sprinters Stakes in Japan in 2006 and the KrisFlyer International in Singapore in 2008.
His final Australian start before heading overseas last year resulted in a Group 1 win - the eighth of his famous career - in the Goodwood at Morphettville in Adelaide.

From the forums I frequent here in Australia, the majority of everyone agrees its too much of a risk to bring this great animal back. Especially at age 11 and after a fractured cannon bone over 12 months ago. Surely such an injury would spell the end for any other horse. But then again when you have made $6 million from this horse, and the money is no longer coming in, of course you'd want to try and recoup more.

I find it just pure selfishness and outright greed to even think of such a comeback.

What more does Takeover Target have to honestly prove? He has been a world ranked sprinter since 2006, has won over $6 million in earnings, has won 8 Group 1 races in 4 different countries and on 3 different continents. He has beaten the best of the best, and is one of the best sprinters of the past decade. The book was launched several months ago and was quite a popular read, and the movie is on its way.

Surely that signals a pretty good ending.

Back