Talking of Cover versions:

yorick

Conditional
Not many covers beat their originals; Here's one such imo. Listen to this live version from Glastonbury 2010 WCWIOut starts 3.25

Stevie's got it covered alright.

"Not many covers beat their originals". Apologies for hijacking but here are a few of my picks (whether you like it or not:ROFLMAO:)

Warren Zevon - Knocking on heaven's door

Cyndi Lauper - Carey

Heart - Stairway to heaven

Joe Cocker - With a little help from my friends

Disturbed - Sounds of silence

Cheers mate.

I think Joe and the Greaseband knock the Beatles into a cocker hat! Great reimagining and Poor Ringo doesn't fare well by the comparison, does he.

Unchained melody...righteous brothers was the best cover version.

I liked wet wet wets cover of the troggs Love is all around.

I listened to Warren. Didn't know that he recorded this when dying of lung cancer.

That poignancy reminded me of our Freddie when he was dying. Written mostly by Brian May, it must have taken some powers to record this from the band and particularly Freddie. It certainly has some resonance, doesn't it?

Last edited:
Both my boys now realise how brilliant the original sound of silence is after years of saying disturbed was better. I love them both but the original just still shades it for me. How about u2 and the skids the saints are coming.!

Lastly on the dying theme, This is The Man In Black just before his death. I find it so touching. He had no voice, did Jonny, but boy could he sing a song. Genius imo.

This was a cover, too, of a Nine Inch Nails song

Last edited:
Originally written by Rowland Salley (bass player with Chris Isaak), 'Killing The Blues' has been covered by many, including Billy Ray Cyrus' but I do love this cover by Alison Krauss and Robert Plant on the Album 'Raising Sand'. In this live version for Jules Holland, notice the guitarist on the right. That's T Bone Burnett, who produced the soundtrack for 'Oh Brother Where Art Thou' and then 'Raising Sand' This cover of 'Killing The Blues' is a cracker and this version shows the most laid-back but intense musicianship from all. Brilliant imo.

After listening to this, I then watched the Live Floyd version and I think I prefer the original. For me, Vovoid don't really bring anything new to the original.

Mind you, keep 'em coming. I'm loving this.

Thanks Euro (y)

Last edited:
Like them both for different reasons. No doubt about Karen's beautiful singing voice but the cover version is so much more desolate.

Back