That Time Again

Guest_

At the Start
A horse already being backed for the Derby!!!

Punter believes Cecil renaissance is set to continue
by Racing Post staff
THE Cheltenham Festival might be uppermost on the minds of most punters at this time of the year, but one Coral client clearly believes the Henry Cecil renaissance is set to continue this summer.

Cecil rekindled the glory years in 2007 with his best season for some time, including saddling Light Shift to an emotional success in the Oaks in June.

His Twice Over emerged as a candidate for Classic honours this term when taking two back-end events at Newmarket in good style.

A backer at Coral's Mayfair branch has plunked down £12,000 in cash on the Khalid Abdullah-owned Observatory colt to give Cecil a fifth win in the Derby after Slip Anchor, Reference Point, Commander In Chief and Oath.
The customer also placed a £2,000 ante-post treble on Twice Over at 12-1 in the Derby, Kauto Star at 5-4 for the Gold Cup and Sublimity at 4-1 in the Champion Hurdle.

Coral reacted to the sizeable wager by cutting Twice Over to 8-1 from 12-1 for the Epsom Classic.

Spokesman Simon Claresaid: "The customer has placed a handful of bets before in this Coral branch, but nothing of this magnitude.

"We already had substantial liabilities on Twice Over for the Derby and this massive bet has forced us to slash his price and run for cover."

Although it would be marvellous if Henry Cecil could train another Derby winner, Twice Over might be better suited to 10f than 12f.

A bit off topic I know, but I would be interested in hearing the forum breeding guru's views on Jupiter Pluvius' prospects of getting a mile next year.

By Johannesburg from a dam's side that looks loaded with speed. Stayed seven furlongs last year though.

Originally posted by trackside528@Jan 18 2008, 11:03 PM
Indeed Ven. Very brave man to back an Observatory colt in the Derby!
Don't think you needed the "Derby" bit.

Most Observatory's ive noticed do their best work in their first season then fall out with the game.

I won't be surprised to see Twice Over fail to live up to expectations. It's not even back from its winter holidays yet. Braver man than me backing it for the Derby.

Back