The cross country race (festival)

Warbler

At the Start
Shortly before making its debut I was involved in a debate elsewhere about its legitimacy at jump racing olympic games. I was pretty much in favour of it and thought it would be a novel addition with its own unique challenges and appeal. I was taken to task by someone who suggested that he had no will to "watch the Duke of Alberqueque gallantly riding his loyal 15yo hunter around racings most sacred turf" and that the race had no right to be there. Eddie Freemantle amongst others were particularly scathing about it. I did argue that as things developed and the race established itself as a 'festival race' then trainers would see it for what it is (a festival race) and start sending better quality animals to it in an attempt to put one on the scoreboard etc

Now with the racing today of the November edition, I thought I'd take the opportunity to see if there is any evidence that better quality animals are being routed towards it? The race made its debut in 2005, and so I thought the 2004 renewal of the November race would be an indicator as to the type of horses being campaigned for an assault in March the following year.

Now with any data-set, averages can be badly skewed by the lower deciles, so rather than take every horse (as there's some serious dross in each years renewal) I thought I'd concentrate on the top half dozens OR's going into the race, this is what I found;

2004 = 123
2005 = 127
2006 = 130.5
2007 = 132
2008 = 140

Has the race gained its legitmacy yet? or would many of you rather see it scrapped. Didn't Silver Birch use it ahead of Aintree?

I'm tempted to go further and call for it to be given a television slot. My suspicion is that its unique and quirky character might even appeal to the casual non racing viewer and help promote the sport (admittedly by very marginal amounts)

Last edited:
Here :D

We should be looking to up the quality of the XC races in the UK.

The introduction of a conditional jockeys h'cap hurdle and a mares hurdle and a sack race to the Cheltenham Festival can only strengthen the claims of a proper race like the current conditions chase that is the XC race.

With a bit of luck within 10 or 15 years the average rating of the runners will be up in the low 160's - maybe rated 150 to 165, those who are too good for handicaps but would start at monster prices in the blue riband itself (the likes of Turpin Green, Gungadu, Albertas Run, Ornais etc.)

Imo it's a great spectacle and gives a certain sort of horse a role in life!
But they need to sort out these wretched 'wrong course' incidents as it makes a mockery of the race every time. We want to see one of the best, most athletic staying chasers win this, not the sharpest jockey with a head for maps!

The mares hurdle is a quality addition to the festival.The cross country chase certainly has its place as a spectacle -if you don't want to have a bet keep your hands in your pocket.

Agreed. Clement Freud was bemoaning the lack of long festival`s in his RP coulmn this morning. Britain way behind the Irish in only having three five day events. Would anyone advocate a seven day jamboree in March?

Back