The Curragh Due To Close Temporarily

Guest_

At the Start
The Curragh is due to close from 26th July 2009 and would recommence in March 2011. This means the Irish Derby of 2010 will presumably be run at Leopardstown with other meetings scattered around.

Last edited:
That will be a lot of racing to spread around. Wonder if they will run the 6F Phoenix Stakes at Leopardstown. Probably not. The sprints will have to go elsewhere like Naas.

I am presuming Phoenix Park was shut due to financial problems (sad timing as it came just as Irish racing was about to enter a purple patch in terms of expansion and wealth).

Is there any chance that course will ever re-open of has it been completely demolished?

Irish Derby switches to Leopardstown for 2010

Racing Post staff

Fron RP

THE Dubai Duty Free Irish Derby will move from the Curragh in 2010, when it will be run at Leopardstown, the Turf Club announced on Friday.

The move is due to a decision to delay redevelopment of the Curragh racecourse, and means that all five Irish Classics - which are run at the Curragh - will move to Leopardstown

Interesting stuff. Lovely for Leopardstown though - the track deserves to have at least one of the Classics to itself anyway.

Will be interesting with the classics in that the Derby mile and a half distance will start past the post right before the bend and the mile Guineas will be a very tactical affair considering the sharpness of the track. I wonder if they will redesign the track in any way.

The track will not be able to accommodate the huge 30 runner fields the Curragh can handle.

I wonder if Leopardstown will continue their summer Wednesday evening meetings at that time.

Back