The Dangers Of Cocaine

Bar the Bull

At the Start
You too could have a face like this:

_44307329_k_fallon203.jpg

winehouse is a smack head, big diffence between that & coke. daniella westbrook abused the drug & paid the price. its never been in the press that fallon is an addict, just that he has used. massive difference between drug use & abuse. not all drug users become addicted.

winehouse is a smack head, big diffence between that & coke.

I'd be surprised if she's particularly fussy.

its never been in the press that fallon is an addict, just that he has used.

It has been in the press that he has/had addiction problems.

massive difference between drug use & abuse. not all drug users become addicted.

Agreed.

Seem to recall Aidan O'Brien saying something about Kieran having an "addictive personality" (or something to that effect) in his interview with RTE the day the trial collapsed.. probably still on the site..

My assertion was badly worded. My understanding is that personalities are addictive, and the product is secondary and tertiary to this. Access is the question.

So an addictive personality who uses alcohol is proportionately as likely to become addicted to cocaine, or gambling if those were the products he/she chose.

An Acoholic who uses drugs and gambles, however infrequently, will have to identify himself at an AA meeting as "Hi I am XXX, I am an alcoholic, drug addict and compulsive gambler."

I don't have any first hand experience of addiction, so I will of course stand to be corrected on my hearsay evidence.

You are therefore ignoring the cultural impact when explaining addiction.

To say that somebody is addictive on account of their personality to me seems like you are saying that addiction is purely genetic. I am sure Fallon has had sex; is he guaranteeed to be a sex addict? Is he a gambling addict?

I believe that genetics predisposes one to addiction, but that cultural factors play their part, along with genetics, habits, etc.

The development of somebody's involvement with drink, combined with their moral and genetic make-up may make them addicted to alcohol. Somebody may have developed a dependency on alcohol at a time where it helped them to deal with issues in their life, making them an alcoholic.

Fallon may have started using cocaine, purely for a bit of a buzz at the end of the day. The development of his involvement with cocaine may have been such that it did not lead to addictive tendencies. If this is the case, he would not be addicted to cocaine.

Sorry if I seem to be lecturing, but addiction is of particular interest to me.

Incidentally, there is a school of thought that backs up what you say above; I just think it is wrong.

Serious question. Does addiction have to be a substance or can one be addicted to say TV or indeed the internet or would they be habitual?

There doesn't need to be a substance, people get addicted to the feeling that something gives them - perhaps Endorphins being released.

Gambling addiction would be a common example, or the term Adrenalin Junkie.

On the subject of addiction-a friend of mine ran a top London pub in the mid 90's.At the time he earned about a grand a week (into his hand) and lived over the pub as part of the deal.
He was big into drinking,drugs ,gambling and women.Of course it was the gambling that destroyed him.
When he lost his job he disappeared for a year or so then reappeared managing a pub in Camden Town.I called into the Billy Hills office one Saturday morning at 11 o clock to have a small bet on the afternoonsracing and I met him there having a few bets on the dogs.I went back to collect my winnings after 7 o clock and guess who was still there.He told me he had been there all day and was having a nightmare.I had an each way bet on a 5/1 shot who was placed -getting my money back which really irritated him.When the 49s draw came on I gave him a tenner to have on 3 numbers in an attempt to get out.Needless to say that didn't happen.
It turned out subsequently that he had emptied the entire contents of the pub safe.Nce guy but an unrivalled self destruct button.

Ironically, that William Hill shop in Camden (if it's the one I know of) is better known for its access to ropey old whores and crack than for the amount of money bet over the counter. Or so I'm told.

Originally posted by rorydelargy@Dec 21 2007, 09:19 AM
Ironically, that William Hill shop in Camden (if it's the one I know of) is better known for its access to ropey old whores and crack than for the amount of money bet over the counter. Or so I'm told.
The one next to Sainsburys-had a right arguement wit hthe manager which went all the way to the top of customer services.They listened to my arguements and then told me that my writing was illegible despite not having a copy of it(it is actually very neat and tidy).
To cut a long story short in protest at the lies told against me I point blank refused to pay my credit account which really pissed them off.

Originally posted by rorydelargy@Dec 21 2007, 11:19 AM
Ironically, that William Hill shop in Camden (if it's the one I know of) is better known for its access to ropey old whores

Has Wayne Rooney ever been spotted in there?

Originally posted by Gearoid@Dec 20 2007, 11:59 PM
Luke, what was your story about a man from Waterford that won the lotto?
Guy from Waterford won the lottery in the mid 90s-a couple of million pounds.His chosen investment was housing(pre Celtic tiger)-effectively he wins the lottery a second time.
Before he won the lottery he was a panel beater and Friday lunchtime was 5 pints of cider-a couple of pints at lunchtime every other day.After he won the lottery he still stuck to wearing jeans from Dunnes -wouldn't spend the extra on a pair of Levis.
Drinking was his main interest and hobby before and after his win.For the last 5 0r 6 years of his life the routine was taxi to the pub before midday,taxi home at closing time with a carryout.A couple of times a year he went to Old Trafford which I am sure involved plenty of drink.
He died maybe 3 or 4 years ago.

Back