The Fitzgerald gap...........

Colin Phillips

At the Start
..........to be filled by Geraghty and McCoy.

Story on the Racing Post site :

Geraghty and McCoy
to replace Fitzgerald

punjabi_punch510.jpg
Punjabi: Barry Geraghty has already ridden numerous winners for Henderson

Rodney Masters

NICKY HENDERSON has outlined a twin arrangement to fill the void left by Mick Fitzgerald's retirement, and said the future set up at Seven Barrows will see Barry Geraghty commute regularly from Ireland and also include a closer alliance with Tony McCoy when the champion jockey is available.

Geraghty, best known for his association with Moscow Flyer and Grand National win on Monty's Pass in 2003, received wide acclaim for his astute tactical ride on Henderson's Punjabi in the Grade 1 Irish Champion Hurdle at the Punchestown Festival in April.

He had finished third on the same horse behind Katchit in Cheltenham's Champion Hurdle.

Henderson said: ”Barry will be over on afairly regular basis. We all know he is a very good jockey, and a very good big race jockey."

Having an Irish jockey coming is the fashionable thing to do. Geraghty seems to have been out of the limelight since Moscow Flyer was retired.

Last edited:
He's out of favour with some of the Irish trainers and had to canvas the owners for the ride on slim pickings in the national. I'm not a fan personally.

I'm of the opinion he's very fortunate to have rode the big race winners over the years. Not often he gets big outside rides. This is a big coup for Geraghty.

He nearly got kicking king beaten in the kling George and gave people the impression that the horse didn't stay by jumping up and down on his back and getting him unbalanced ....not me though,on at 40/1.:D

Being serious its a great move Geraghty and I hope he does well. This is exactly the kind of thing he needs but the fact that McCoy will get first refusal shows where he is in the pecking order these days.

Last edited:
No one i know in Ireland has much time for him; both as a jockey and a person.

At least we'll be spared Fitzgerald's ridiculous sitting pretty pose on every horse as if he were Pegasus reincarnate.

I do not have much time for Geraghty as a jockey, but to be fair to him, becoming a Dad has helped him to control his ego.

I think he lost his way a little over recent years with outside interests (social & professional). I hope he now knuckles down and takes this golden opportunity

I dont think BG was a very surprising choice,
I think he is not good enough for the job, he was a better jockey some seasons ago but NH didnt have too much choices,
Foley and Tinkler are not good enough to be stable jockey in such a good stable and there not free jockeys around.

Last chance saloon for BJG -maybe he can turn his career around.The brother of one of the worlds leading jockeys spent a long time telling my mates at the Paddy Power meeting in 2006 why BJG had no place amongst the elite.

quite an enlightening thread for me..I must admit I don't really know that much about BG apart from Moscow and a few other times he has been in the limelight

looks like the guy isn't or wasn't the most popular chap

Speaking through my pocket Barry has served me well. Have tailed off interest post Moscow, hope for his sake, he gets his ship in order with Henderson who i believe is rather close to Jessie Harrington

The Harringtons always stay with Nicky Henderson during Cheltenham, so yes they are very good friends. I dare say Jessie H put in a good word.

My only experience of Barry G was watching him in the Blowing Stone one night when all the lads were there [some pre-Aintree film with Clare Balding had been made earlier at The Pheasant] - trying endlessly to cajole them all into some nationalistic Irish display by whichever of them won the Grand National. I think he'd a few too many!

The Harringtons always stay with Nicky Henderson during Cheltenham, so yes they are very good friends. I dare say Jessie H put in a good word.

My only experience of Barry G was watching him in the Blowing Stone one night when all the lads were there [some pre-Aintree film with Clare Balding had been made earlier at The Pheasant] - trying endlessly to cajole them all into some nationalistic Irish display by whichever of them won the Grand National. I think he'd a few too many!

Thats a load of heresay bollocks.

???????? Sorry?? What possible problem could you have with any of that?!
The first is a well known fact; the second para was just recounting an amusing vignette witnessed at the end of an amusing but long evening. I found it amusing anyway!

And yes BH does have the most amazing eyelashes - and wonderful eyes. He's quite mesmerising :O:

Back